We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

grave yard

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
grave yard

hiya a couple of years we went to tullamore and the lady in the b@b took us to a grave yard that was a few miles away that a famous priest was buried in and people slept under his raised grave stone in the hope of haveing ailments cured, does any one know where this grave yard is? im going back and want to take my daughter to see the grave thanks maggieomx

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: grave yard

It's Father Mullen's grave outside the town of Daingean in Co.Offaly.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: grave yard

It's Father Mullen's grave outside the town of Daingean in Co.Offaly.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: grave yard

Sorry about the above double post. There does not seem to be much about Fr Mullen on the web however here is a n article from "The Carlow Nationalist"

archives.tcm.ie/carlownationalist/2003/08/06…

The name of the cemetery is Kiladerry and if you ask locally in the the town of Daingean you will get directions ,it is easy to find.

Apparently the Grandfather of Lewis Carroll is buried in the same cemetery!

Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: grave yard

Well Maggie, it certainly didn't do the priest much good did it???

There are lots of holy wells scattered around the country which tradition tells us that cures were available from using the waters. My favourite is Fore Abbey nr. Castlepollard, Co. West Meath which is renowned for it's 'Seven Wonders of Fore' like water running up the hill and water not able to boil as well as the cures from St.Feichin's well. Worth a visit and set in beautiful surroundings.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: grave yard

I know there is a yearly mass at his graveside and from what I can remember the tombstone is decorated with gifts (beads and the like, that you usualy find in holy wells).

Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: grave yard

This surprises me Suzy as the orthodox church in some areas frowns upon these pagan type rituals as being un-christian and outside of modern church practices. So what was so special about this priest if he wasn't a saint.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: grave yard

The Orthodox Church?????

Should you not be on the Greek forum cavan!!!!

Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: grave yard

Haha Suzy, have you never heard of orthodox (mainstream) catholicism, but I know what you mean luv

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: grave yard

No need to be so patronizing!

Cavan
Level Contributor
4,542 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply