We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restuarants in County Meath

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
restuarants in County Meath

My husband and I, along with 2 daughters, will be travelling from U.S. in early April. We will be staying at the Marriott Johnstown House for 3 nights and would like some restuarant recommendations in the area. We will also be travelling around County Meath; Newgrange, Kells, etc...

Thanks

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
244 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: restuarants in County Meath

Hi

Here are a few suggestions in /around Meath:

The Station House, Kilmessan (a converted railway station building with guest rooms and a traditional restaurant with an excellent reputation - people come from far and wide)

Francini O'Brien's, branches in Navan and Trim (beside Trim Castle)

Eatzen, Ashbourne (Chinese food - pricey - not open for lunch)

And a new & popular place in Ashbourne, Il Bucca, Italian - pizza / steaks

Hudson's Bistro, Navan (never been I have to admit but am told it's good).

I'm sure the hotel concierge can give you some good advice too.

Enjoy your trip.

A

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: restuarants in County Meath

Thanks so much AnnieTee! I have written all down. Have a great day!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
84 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restuarants in County Meath

now ive heard the same about the station house but i was there only once, last year and it was really really bad.

our food came out cold! we sent it back and it came back cold again! service was dreadful-its actually the first time i have ever complained in a restaurant in ireland (of course ive been to worse but this place was expensive).

the manager was very sympathetic about it which was fine but then when we were leaving we could see half the kitchen and waiting staff out smoking outside. i wouldnt go back but then i have heard good things also.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restuarants in County Meath

Hi, I have two fine dining recommendations for you if that might interest you at all, they are expensive but I suppose you pay for top quality.

The first is not in Co Meath, but on the other hand it's not a million miles away either!. Do a search for Macnean Bistro. It's owned and run by chef Nevin Maguire in the town of Blacklion, Co Cavan - very, very, very good food. I'd estimate it's a 40 minute drive from where you'll be staying but I'm not hugely familiar with the area so perhaps the hotel staff could enlighten you. If fine, interesting and good quality food is what you're after Macnean Bistro will be your best bet.

There's also Wineport Lodge, again maybe a 45 minute drive but one that's well worth it on the upper end of fine dining. Fabulous wine list, what a suprise!!

www.wineport.ie

Hope that's useful.

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
67 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: restuarants in County Meath

Thanks Uisce! Do you know if these places are kid friendly? We're not opposed to driving for good food! We live in a suburb and usually drive 30ish minutes for good resturants.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
233 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: restuarants in County Meath

I'd fall over with shock if they had kids menus, I'd suggest contacting them directly with regard to high chairs etc, but then it depends on the age of your children. I'd hazard a guess that both may not be the most suitable spots for small children, they really are 'fine dining' in the true sense of the word. Contacting them directly would be my suggestion.

Good luck!

Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: restuarants in County Meath

In addition to AnnieTee's suggestions

Gaylord Tandoori (Navan) the best Indian in the county!

The Spire (Duleek)

http://www.spirerestaurant.ie/

vanilla pod (Kells) in Headfort hotel

Pretty Orchid - Thai (Navan) in same building as the cinema) bustly, friendly place and good value for money (insofar as dining out in ireland can be said to be so!)

The Forge (Carnaross, near Kells) small place in countryside - GM-free, real cuisine! booking required

The Belfry (outside Mullingar & outside meath but worth the journey)http://www.belfryrestaurant.com/

Drogheda, Ireland
Level Contributor
195 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: restuarants in County Meath

i know the lady who posted has already made her trip but for anyone else reading to pick up tips -

Hudson's is closed (Don't know why it was a fab restaurant)

The thai restaurant in Navan is actually called The Thai Orchid - and is great.

I ate in Station house last year and thought it quite nice and would go back again. They did a great bufet on a sunday with Jazz music. Not sure if still doing.

New Restaurant called Zucchini's in Navan. Excellant. Really top food.

In Dunshauglin (between Navan and Dublin) there is a pub called the Sibin which does good food.

Think that is it around Navan

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
101 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: restuarants in County Meath

I would second the nomination for Francini O'Brien's in Trim. It is in right next to the castle (if you are walking up to the main gate look left). It is casual, but nice. Not traditional but contemporary. Family friendly. Good food. Reasonable prices. Nice selection. We ate there a couple of times when in Trim.

kells, co Meath
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: restuarants in County Meath

When in Kells, there are 3 very good places that I would recomment.

The Forge Restaurant in Carnaross.(You have to book this, it's in a country house about 4 miles outside of Kells, very nice food ranging from Steaks Seafood but a little bit expendsive, very good quality, would a trip.

In the hotel in Kells, The Headfort Arms, their restaurant the Vanilla Pod is very nice, nice varitey and good qualilty.

There is also the Bistro in Kells, which is a small family run restaurant very good quality food.

Hope this helps.