We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Friday night in Limerick - what to do?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
135 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Friday night in Limerick - what to do?

Hello,

I'm currently staying at the Radisson on Ennis Road which is relatively far from the city centre. It's Friday and I'm looking for ideas on what to do tonight.

How much would it cost to take a taxi to and from the hotel to a decent nightclub?

What nightclubs do you recommend? We're looking for good music (preferably top 40, not so much house music), hopefully relatively close to the hotel, and more importantly with a good crowd and in a good part of town. A local pub with good live music would also be a good option so recommendations for those would be great too.

On that note, we're on a tour and our tour guide keeps scaring us with "knife fights"/slash city and how rough things are in limerick especially on a Friday night and how high the cost of cabs would be to/from the hotel. I think this is in hopes that we would join the expensive optional dinner and show tonight. So I'm wondering - how 'dangerous' is it really in Limerick on a Friday night?

There's also a wedding on at the hotel tonight and our guide keeps saying how lucky we are to have one during our stay. I don't really see the connection as to why that would matter to us...unless, do the Irish welcome everyone to their wedding reception? It would be great to see what an Irish wedding/party is like and I'm wondering if it's possible to do this tonight. Would we just get kicked out?

Sorry if the questions seem stupid, I'm just looking for ideas on what to do tonight. Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,469 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Friday night in Limerick - what to do?

Right, the Radisson is nice but its in a very quiet part of the world.

Limerick is as safe as any city. Just keep your wits about you. The guide is scare mongering.

It will cost about €15 to get a cab into town and the same back. Try ringing Treaty Hackney Cabs on 061 415544 or 061 415566

This is their facebook page

facebook.com/pages/…

In terms of nightclubs, The Sin Bin is on Harvey's Quay and is good. There is a nice pub overhead - Clohessys. Nice crowd and nice views over the river. Also consider Dolans on the Dock Road www.dolans.ie They have live music every night.

Regarding the wedding - lucky???? Unless you're hoping to score with the bridesmaid or the best man I don't particularly think so!!!! In fact you are more likely to encounter noise so you might well be unlucky!!

Weddings are private events and while you might get invited in, you might not be made welcome either. It really depends on the people involved. I certainly wouldn't try to crash one.

Have fun :o)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,680 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Friday night in Limerick - what to do?

If some one crashed our wedding on the say-so of a "guide" I'd not be too happy.I'd also take issue with all the scare mongering, I was in college there for 3 yrs and like any city, a little bit of being sensible takes you a long way.

All-in-all, your guide sounds like a bit of a donkey..

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
377 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Friday night in Limerick - what to do?

Your guide is a disgrace to his/her job and to tourism in Ireland. Give his/her name or at least the company they work for. How much of a kick back are they getting fom the hotel to deliver a bus load of tourists and scare ye into staying put for the evening?

Go into the city centre, Bean has given details of night clubs and have a good time.

Limerick is a safe city for sociialising, enjoy yourself.

PS name the tour company.

Limerick
Level Contributor
57 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Friday night in Limerick - what to do?

I agree with Woodie37, your guide is a disgrace to their profession, and I think it is only right that you name them and their company here.

Limerick is a very sociable city - especially toward tourists - with many great night spots. There is no shortage of live music throughout the town these days.

5. Re: Friday night in Limerick - what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 11:16