We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seasons at Knocktopher

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
60 reviews
Seasons at Knocktopher

In reply to DOMINIC1. I saw your post about the above and I am happy to reply as I know the area well.

Seasons is based in an old Manor House and converted buildings in it's own grounds, complete with ruined Abbey, which was until very recently in the ownership of a well-known landed Irish family. I can't speak for the quality of the appartments, but I often have reason to call and the grounds are always immaculate and very peaceful. Knocktopher is a very small village (with the inevitable housing development currently taking place as everywhere). It has one pub, another pub/hotel, a petrol station and a curious old-fashioned general store. Unfortunately it is bisected by the Waterford/Kilkenny road, but this does not affect the peace of the Abbey.

Providied you have a car, Knocktopher is a marvellous base for seeing the area around. Within a very short driving distance is that lively town of Thomastown and Jerpoint Abbey. Kells and Kells Abbey is also just down the road. Also take time to see the very untouristy villages around Knocktopher which lie in lovely unspoilt scenery - Newmarket (within walking distance with It's Famine Memorial cottage), Kilmoganny, Windgap, Mullinavat (local beauty spot - the waterfall). A little bit further and you have Inistioge and Woodstock(a must), Graiguenamanagh (Duiske Abbey), Tullogher, Slieverue . Pick up a Craft Trail brochure at reception (I know they have them) and do a wonderful tour of the upmarket craft studios around Thomastown and Bennettsbridge.

Then of course there are Kilkenny , Waterford and New Ross which are all half an hour of Knocktopher. Cashel and Cahir are only a little bit further. Their attrractions are well-known. A week won't be enough.

If you like activities, Mount Juliet Hotel and Golf Club is only a 10 minute drive. Non-residents can avail of golf, horse-riding, archery, clayshooting, lovely walks, spa treatments and fishing, and two restaurants. If you like walking there loads of walks - The South Leinster Way passes close by, Mount Brandon, Sleivenamon. Even go-karting at Mountain View (10 mins from Knocktopher). More golf at Gowran, Waterford, Kilkenny.

If you want a day in Dublin there are about 12 buses a day from Thomastown plus trains.

All this is just within half an hour, there's loads more so come and see.

<<Return to the County Leitrim forum home page

Sponsored links *County Leitrim Travel Deals

County Leitrim: Ireland Coach

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,569 posts
63 reviews
1. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

Well done irishrover!

May I add that there is a lovely walk along the river Barrow from Graiguenamanagh towards St. Mullin's. St. Mullin's is a beautiful secluded spot and well worth a visit.

The Motte Restaurant just outside Inistioge (Thomastown direction) is very good for dinner.

eNGLAND
4 posts
2. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

Dear irishrover

Thanks for the very informative reply - looking forward to our break in Ireland already!!

Dominic1

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

If you need any more information let me know.

tredegar, gwent
4 posts
4. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

Hi there, can you help?

Coming to Seasons at Knocktopher tomorrow afternoon and looking for suggestions to go tomorrow evening for a meal and a couple of drinks, so would have to be in near vicinity to commute by taxi. Can you recommend anywhere where to go? Over to Ireland until Monday.

Thanks

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
60 reviews
5. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

Hi pandapops

Sorry for not replying earlier, as I was out of the country. Ethos (353 (0)56 775 4945) in Thomastown would be a good place for a meal. Plenty of pubs in Thomastown. Next door to Ethos is Murphys, or O'Hara's just down the road, or Carrolls round the corner on Logan Street.

If you want posh and expensive, go to Mount Juliet, they have two restaurants. Frankly, recommend Thomastown for atmosphere.

Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
23 reviews
6. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

Has anyone more up to date informatio?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

What do you want to know?

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
8. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

Planning a trip for summer of 2009. How is the Abbey and how does one make a reservation? Is it mainly a timeshare, requiring contact with owners?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,619 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

I am not sure how well Knocktopher Abbey is functioning at the moment. If you put Knocktopher Abbey in the search box you will probably find previous comments I have made. The accommodation itself is not in the Abbey, but in cottages alongside. Knocktopher itself is very quite. I have no idea how you book, but it is timeshare.

misemac
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Seasons at Knocktopher

Hi Irishover,

I'd Just like to make some corrections to your information on Knocktopher Abbey. Yes There is accomodation in the main Abbey itself.Between 7 and 8 rooms, that sleep 2 people per room. The converted cottages sleep 4 to 6 people.

The Abbey itself is not a ruin, many years ago Part of the Abbey was burned but was rebuilt again. you can see the difference in the walls between the reception side of building and where the restaurant was.

The Langrishe's were the family who occupied the Abbey as a family home, and what are now the cottages today once were the stables. What you might have thought was the ruined abbey could have been the old church (which Cromwell Burned) which is now the local graveyard, beside that is the old ruins of the Langrishe farmyard, where they also had a squash court!hee hee.

Also attached to the Abbey is a Ruined castle, Whites Castle, (where the new estate gets is name from). If you would like more information on the history of the Abbey i can get it for you. otherwise there is some links below (not much), or that little shop with the half door, is probably where you'll get the best information and history lessons in the county.

As for the person who is looking on booking a room here, as far as i know it's still a timeshare, but i think your still allowed to walk around the gardens and maybe shown the inside of a room in the abbey, if you ask nice enough. so if your dead set on staying in Knocktopher for your holiday i'd suggest a B&B or Carrolls Hotel, if your not a timeshare member.

Cheers

a

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langrishe_Baronets

seasonsholidays.com/clubseasons/knocktophera…

Get answers to your questions about Kilkenny