We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Dublin to Kilkenny

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Dublin to Kilkenny

G'day one and all, hoping all is well in your part of the world.

This coming January (2012) we'll be in Dublin for a few days and most likely will hire a car for a day trip out of Dublin. I was thinking of going out to the west coast (Galway perhaps) but I seem to get an "oh, don't do that for a day trip" response. Now I'm looking at perhaps down along the coast via Wiklow to Kilkenny and back up the N/M 7 - 9 to Dublin.

What are the daylight hours as that would play a part in how long we'll be out and about. We being hubby & wife (50ish) and two of our children (early 20s).

Happy for any input as to some highlights on the coast road and Kilkenny.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Dublin to Kilkenny

Daylight hours will be short. It will be light around 8.00 a.m., but starting to get dark at around 5.00 p.m, and the dark comes in quickly. Also the weather is impossible to predict. Driving conditions could not be very good. It would be best to stick to fairly main roads for your drive. The N11 out of Dublin is a good road and will bring you through some very interesting towns, notably Wicklow, Enniscorthy and Ferns. However, taking this route you cannot avoid using minor roads to get across country to Kilkenny.

It is possible now to reach Kilkenny from Dublin almost entirely by motorway and this trip takes less than two hours.

Kilkenny deserves at least a whole day to do it justice. I think your day would be quite rushed if you tried to combine the coast road and a visit to Kilkenny during daylight hours. One suggestion is to visit Kilkenny by train or bus and spend the whole day there, and use your car hire day to explore the coast. The north coast is equally as interesting as the south .

The following thread sets out some of the main things to see and do in Kilkenny

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186616-i804-k45150…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
28 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Dublin to Kilkenny

Ta kindly for your advice and link. Perhaps we'll start with the Kilkenny leg nice and early and see where the day takes us, we'll be happy just to be on vaction in Ireland.

And from what I've read, your winter will be similar in temperature to ours, just more chance of rain.

3. Re: Day trip from Dublin to Kilkenny

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 03:15