We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where is the BEST Pub food

Lawrenceburg, TN
Level Contributor
51 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Where is the BEST Pub food

We have been visiting the UK & Scotland for the past three years and now are going to visit Ireland. We will be staying around Kilkenny. We have really become fans of Pubs, the good cooking, and the friendly atmosphere. We are not drinkers, so the good food is what we are looking for. Help me plan by telling me where are the Pubs that I would enjoy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

If you think the food in uk/Scottish pubs is good then be prepared to be blown away by the quality of pub grub in Ireland.

I can hand on heart say I never had a bad meal in a pub in Ireland. Of course some are better than others, but they always meet expectations.

Therefore try anywhere in Kilkenny... the last meal I had in Kilkenny was in Langtons and it was fab.

Btw lunchtimes in pubs give best value.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,717 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

Langtons is one of the better, it must be said.Good, honest stuff and plenty of it.

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
829 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

Hello. Another vote for Langtons. Good food , good service, beautiful beer garden out back. See if the Keltic Kats are playing and if they are, see them. Very good group. There is also an Italian restaurant right across the street thats very good. Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

I am really glad junglejim had good experiences when eating in Irish pubs. However, from my own personal experience, I would advise caution. There is good and there is not so good. Langtons has already been mentioned and its bar menu is usually very reliable. Kytelers has also been consistently recommended in this forum. Apart from that, I think I will leave it to people who have visited Kilkenny recently as I rarely eat in pubs myself.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,237 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

We had a pretty decent lunch in Kytler's recently and judging by the large crowd eating there, it has a fairly good reputation.

We also had a very nice dinner at Matt the Miller's pub, and the service and staff were extremely friendly.

Usually though, I am pretty much in agreement with irishrover, and am not a big fan of eating in pubs(although I do like to drink there:-))

6. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 June 2011, 23:40
Edited: 23 June 2011, 23:40
Dallas
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

Ditto on Langston's

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
72 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

Being a Kilkenny native I would avoid Langtons!! Everything is fried. Matt the millers and kytlers are excellent. If your willing to hand over an extra few euros stathams bar and grill in the pembroke hotel is excellent.

9. Re: Where is the BEST Pub food

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 17:18