We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kilkenny Area

Which Kilkenny hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kilkenny Area

My family and I (three adults) are traveling to the Kilkenny area in early November, '09 for a ten night visit. Our accommodations will be at Knocktopher Abbey (a Seasons Holiday timeshare)for seven of those nights. We will be flying into Dublin airport and will have a rental car. For our first three nights I would like to stay in a small village with historic attractions, scenic beauty and very walkable. Since we will be traveling south from Dublin the first three nights accommodations need to be in that direction. Either enroute before or after Kilkenny and possibly on the East coast. A small fishing village or even inland a small village on a river. Any suggestions on a small village to rest up and get over jet lag that is charming and quaint would be appreciated. Thank you.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kilkenny Area

Sorry you haven't got a reply yet. I am not quite sure what you are looking for. Knocktopher itself is a quiet village close to lots of historical sites and with great opportunities for walking. It is only 2 hrs from Dublin. If you want somewhere near to the airport so you don't have a long drive I could suggest Howth. It is actually in Dublin, but out of it in a sense. There is a lovely village with a working fishing harbour, but with plenty of infrastructure, plus a wonderful scenic headland where the walks are amazing.

From Howth there is easy access to Dublin by Dart if you wanted to spend time there and get the best of both worlds.

Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kilkenny Area

Thank you Irishrover for your reply. I looked at Howth and it does look interesting but not in the direction (South of Dublin) that we want to be headed in. Again, we are looking for a very small walkable village that has either scenic beauty, historic value or hopefully both. It can be no more than 2 - 3 hours south or southeast from the airport (I refuse to drive further after our international flight from the states). As we will be at Knocktopher for a week I am sure we will staurate that immediate area so was thinking of maybe over on the east coast or a little further south than Knocktopher. P.S. I am so glad you answered my post. I have read alot of your replys to others and you seem to know a lot about Ireland and care about what you write. Thank you,

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,432 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kilkenny Area

2-3 hours would bring you to Wexford, which is also handy to get back to Knocktopher. Kilmore Quay would probably fit what you are loooking for.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kilkenny Area

I am glad other options have been brought up and I agree that somewhere on the south Wexford coast would be a great place, but I understand Joy's criteria were for less driving rather than more.

Joy, in fact, by driving to Howth which is less than 5 miles from Dublin Airport you would be far less out of your way from Knocktopher than you would be by going anywhere on the east coast.

E.g. It would take you two to three hours to drive to Kilmore Quay then another hour to drive to Knocktopher. It will take less than 20 minutese to drive to Howth, then only 2 hrs. to Knocktopher.

Having said that Kilmore Quay is one of my favourite places and I don't want to put you off visiting there. Just giving the logistics. Even if you don't decide to stay there, that area will make a great day out while you are staying in Knocktopher.

Put simply anywhere on the coast is going to involve more driving than either staying in the Dublin area or driving directly to Knocktopher. Even though it might not look far on a map, the road system is such that it is going to take more time.

Another suggestion would be a location in Wicklow, such as Roundwood, or Avoca. Wonderful locations and great for history and walking.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kilkenny Area

Well, maybe I read your second post too quickly and it seems you don't mind driving further south. So other suggestions Dunmore East in Waterford, Fethard-on Sea, in Wexford, or Wexford town itself.

Blairsville, Georgia
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kilkenny Area

Hi everyone - So sorry I did not make my questions clear. After we land I do not mind driving 2-3 hours (Max) to get to a small town or village to spend the first three nights of our holiday BEFORE going over to Knocktopher where we will spend the next week. So thank you all for the suggestions.

Ireland
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kilkenny Area

Wicklow is beautiful, stunning scenery etc you can then go via Mount Leinster in Carlow on to knocktopher

8. Re: Kilkenny Area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 November 2009, 05:39