We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel in Kilkenny or in Thomastown

Clayton, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel in Kilkenny or in Thomastown

I have 4 rooms reserved at the Butler House in Kilkenny. They all have a view of the castle. I am considering changing this reservation to 4 Rooms at the Mt. Juliet Hotel, Thomastown, not in the main house but the Rose Garden Rooms. I want a great place to take my kids and their spouses because it will probably be a one and only opportunity for them to travel in Ireland. Has anyone been to both and what do you feel would be the best WOW effect on our children??? My concern is that at the Mt. Juliet there are no rooms available in the main house . . . so is the Rose Garden Room worth the price?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel in Kilkenny or in Thomastown

If you have 4 Rose Garden Rooms, then it means you probably have two apartments. If this is the case and the price is good, then definitely go for them. They are really sumptious spacious apartments, with fully equipped kitchens, and are just re-opening this week after being refurbished.

They are equal distance from the Main House and the Hunter's Yard where the leisure centre is located. When you stay in the apartments, you have the best of both worlds.

When you speak of you children having spouses, I assume they are not actually kids. Mount Juliet is a paradise for children, but also great for adults too. You won't want to move off the estate, but I hope you do because there are loads of things to do and see locally. Kilkenny, of course, but also Thomastown, Jerpoint Abbey, Kells, Inistioge, Woodstock Forest Park, Graiguenamanagh, and more.

However, it is essential that you have a car as Mount Juliet is not really within walking distance of anywhere except Jerpoint Glass, which is located just outside the Golf Course gates.

If you do chose Butler House, you will also be very happy with the accommodation and location. It is just about the best location in Kilkenny.

Clayton, CA
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel in Kilkenny or in Thomastown

Many many thanks for your input! We have the best rooms already booked a few months ago at the Butler House, so I am still debating what to do. Mt. Juliet does look beautiful!

We will be renting a car(s). My husband and I will be taking one car and going onto other locations and ending at a train station in Ennis going to Dublin. Any suggestions for car rental company with whom we should work?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel in Kilkenny or in Thomastown

How many nights are you staying. The best idea would be to have one night at each place.

In any case, if you don't decide to stay at Mount Juliet definitely go for a visit, you can drive all the way through the estate and get refreshments in the bar, or splash out on afternoon tea in the main house.

4. Re: Hotel in Kilkenny or in Thomastown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 21:20