We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

We will be flying into Shannon on Sunday, August 27th and have tickets booked for skellig Michael land tour the next day. We also are planning time near Galway in Loughrea and then flying out of Dublin on Sunday, Sept 3. I've tentatively booked a private transfer to Tralee and 2 nights at Ballyseed castle. I can then pick up a car rental in Tralee. There are 7 of us and I wanted a base for elderly parents for a couple of days. Is that a good base to go to Port Magee the first day, Dingle the 2nd, and the drive up to Galway area on Wednesday? Is there somewhere else that might be better? We'd like to get in some Casual bike riding and maybe horseback riding as well. Thanks all!

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,272 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

I think the parents will love ballyseede, but I'm not sure this will work. You need to be on the road to portmagee by 7am or 7.30 at the very latest on Monday morning and I don't think you can get a car that early or on Sunday in Tralee.youcould get your taxi on Sunday to take just you, the driver, on to farranfore and get the car there on the Sunday. Why not go back to ballyseede on Tuesday night? Saves taking all your luggage round Dingle.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
4,205 posts
81 reviews
2. Re: Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

I agree you will love Ballyseede. The drive time to Dingle is about an hour. To Portmagee, I would allow at least an hour and a half. Galway, three hours. Be aware that while it is a gorgeous hotel, lovely staff and splendid grounds, it is about 2 miles from Tralee so your parents will have to take a taxi if they want to go out and about. It is a short trip obviously and taxis are readily available. Horse riding is available. http://www.traleeequestriancentre.com/ Beach riding is also here. http://beachhorseriding.com/ Cycling has become extremely popular here in the past few years, being dubbed 'the new golf' by some. http://www.kerrycycling.com/

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
3. Re: Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

How well do you all ride English?

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
23 posts
13 reviews
4. Re: Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

I've never done it. Only western. How different is it?

At my desk
Level Contributor
387 posts
91 reviews
5. Re: Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

I wouldn't worry about English vs Western. While there's a huge difference if you're competing at an elite rodeo or Olympic level showjumping it's not going to impact on the casual rider. As with pretty much everywhere else I've been, in Ireland horses are valuable, the people who run riding establishments love them, and no one wants a tourist rider to be injured. I'd be confident no one's going to give you a half broken stallion and send you on your way. Or offer you a million euro stead and expect you to execute dressage. Just explain you riding history, if you say you're anything better than a beginner typically they'll put you on a horse and ask you to trot and canter around a field/arena to check the horse is appropriate (and horses for casual hire have typically seen it all). Then it's off through the amazing Irish countryside. Have a great time!

Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

I disagree,if you aren't used to an English saddle and trotting , it can be pretty uncomfortable and wobbly . I would let staff know that you can ride , but have only ridden western and you should be fine .

Edited: 08 July 2017, 18:44
7. Re: Base for Dingle and Skellig Michael

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 August 2018, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Tralee
Recent Conversations