We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to the Blasket Islands

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to the Blasket Islands

Could someone tell me if it's posible to get to (and from) the Blasket Islands from Killarney in one day using public transport?

If not, are there any organised tours?

We will be in Killarney from the 24th 'till 27th of April......if that helps.

Thanks a lot for any info.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to the Blasket Islands

I would have thought this unlikely, once past Dingle there is very limited public transport, you could get a bus tour of the peninsula from Killarney, but I dont know of one that includes the Blaskets, the logistics of getting 60+ passengers over and back in the time scale would not work. Could you not hire a car for one day?

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to the Blasket Islands

There are trips to the Blaskets that leave from Dingle harbour, and you can get a public bus from Killarney to Dingle.

Check out Dingle Bay Charters for the boat trips

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to the Blasket Islands

Be aware that the ferry will only sail n good weather, April may not be the best time to try to get to the islands.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to the Blasket Islands

soonas,

do any of the trips from Dingle land on the Blaskets? we were last over in October , we couldnt get a trip out at all, the weather wasn't too favourable and there werent many visitors left. Usually like to get one visit in a year to Gt Blasket

PS

If you cant get to the islands, the Blasket Centre at Dunquin is worth a visit,

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,588 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to the Blasket Islands

@fuchsiagirl

It can be a bit hit and miss. There are so many variables, weather, demand and so on. Sometimes the weather will facilitate the boats popping across from Dunquin, but not from Dingle.

Leiden, The...
Level Contributor
16 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to the Blasket Islands

Thanks guys.

I think we will have to give the Blasket Islands a miss on this trip, and content ourselves with doing a few tours of the mainland.........Ring of Kerry/Dingle peninsula etc. and veiw the Islands from afar!

We don't drive so I was looking at the tour company (Deros I think it's called) leaving from Killarney. What do you think of them? Also, (if you don't mind answering a few more questions) what's the best pub in Killarney for traditional music?

By the way.....we are staying at the Killarney Towers Hotel.

Thanks again.

7. Re: Getting to the Blasket Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 07:15
Get answers to your questions about Killarney
Recent Conversations