We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some advice and ideas

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
Need some advice and ideas

Greetings everyone. I hope for this to not be lengthy, but bear with me.

I recently had a falling out with my soon-to-be fiancée, and unfortunately, we just can't work things out at the moment. In a way to get past all of the drama and such, I decided to get a well deserved holiday in. I have a friend who works as a travel agent, and I literally dropped the money that I was saving for the ring on his lap, and told him to book me an amazing trip. A week in Killarney is what he came up with, and so be it, I am going.

Unfortunately, I know nothing of the region whatsoever. I am in a very odd situation as I will be going completely by myself.

Here are a few stats about me:

I'm 29, a male, and during the week I will be there (end of April,) I will be celebrating my 30th birthday. I am going completely solo with no strings attached. I've traveled a lot and I've never been a big fan of touristy family type of vacations. I've been booked into the 'Killarney Royal' hotel (and pre-paid so there is no changing it.) Beyond that, I have NO plans whatsoever.

Ideally, I would like to meet some locals and just have a great week of fun and relaxation, but I fear that I'll end up sitting at a pub, lost in my woes. It all sounds pathetic, I understand, and trust me when I say that I'm not typically this way, but it is a unique situation that hasn't been the easiest to deal with.

So if anyone has any leads into something great, or any locals that just want to chill out and have a great time, please let me know. I appreciate any help on this.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,256 posts
76 reviews
1. Re: Need some advice and ideas

There are worse places to be on your own for a week and I am pretty sure you will find the craic if you'r our and about. I was stuck there one February and had a great time of it. O'Connors and Tatler Jacks are good local pubs but that can be said about most. If you get short of US company there might well be a tour in the Danny Mann. But there is a lot to do through the days as well even without a car, there will be tours running and the bus and train links are pretty good. I had a day out in Cork by the bus. If you are into walking then there's no shortage of places locally. anyway a few links to get you started.

http://www.killarney.ie/thisweek.php

goireland.com/blog/article/adventure-sports-…

http://www.mytown.ie/town31,killarney.html

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/OCONNORS-Traditionnal-Pub-Killarney/112109258831488

http://www.inec.ie/

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,068 posts
88 reviews
2. Re: Need some advice and ideas

Tony has things very well covered.

The Royal is a lovely hotel and has a nice bar where you can sit and meet with locals. End of April, start of May is a fabulous time to be in Killarney. The flowers are out and its heaven.

Don't know how fit you are but there are lots of cycle paths in the area and a number of bike hire locations. These will be listed in the websites that Tony has given you.

If you are feeling energetic then Outdoors Ireland organise guided climbs of Carrauntoohil, Ireland's highest mountain. …blogspot.com/2010/04/carrauntoohil-guided-c… Might be a great way to enter your 30s!!

This page gives details of talks and walks in Kerry throughout the year and there is a walk and talk about Dingle in the 1930s and 1940s on Sunday 24th April kerryhistory.ie/documents/2011programme.pdf

Hope this gives you something to think about.

BTW - Where are you flying into?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,111 posts
125 reviews
3. Re: Need some advice and ideas

I'd take a look at the Lonely Planet guide and the Rough Guide before you go. They have a lot of info on outdoor activities in and around Killarney that might appeal to you.

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
4. Re: Need some advice and ideas

Thanks for all the info. I've been delving myself into Wikitravel and TA trying to find some more info. There is a lot of stuff in regards to tours and such, but I don't think I'll be doing any crazy outdoorsy things (IE rock climbing, etc.) This is really pure relaxation.

I'm flying into Shannon, and my last night, I will be actually staying in Limerick.

I appreciate all the help so far. Seems like a lot of Texans head that way:)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,068 posts
88 reviews
5. Re: Need some advice and ideas

If you are in Limerick then Dolans may have a gig on that night www.dolans.ie

Lots of good pubs here as well. Where are you staying?

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
6. Re: Need some advice and ideas

It is the "Limerick Strand Hotel" for the night of the 30th of April I believe. This was a last second booking as I was planning on staying in Killarney for the entire time, but getting a bus/taxi back to Shannon for a morning flight would be impossible. I hear that there isn't much to do in Shannon, so my travel agent buddy grabbed up this one here in Limerick.

I'm up for anything :) From what I can see from Google Streetview, there is a big bridge, and a few shops in walking distance from the hotel, but nothing really super-close.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,068 posts
88 reviews
7. Re: Need some advice and ideas

The Strand is a lovely hotel with spectacular views. There are THREE bridges within 5 minutes walk of the hotel.

The hotel itself is overlooking Sarsfield Bridge. To the East of Sarsfield Bridge is Thomond Bridge and the Treaty Stone. To the West of Sarsfield Bridge is Shannon Bridge and a couple of miles further on, invisible from overground is the Shannon Tunnel - Limerick's latest crossing.

The Strand is two minutes walk from the centre of town. If you feel like a super treat, then walk in over Sarsfield Bridge and on your right, just a few shops down, on the Corner of Sarsfield Street and Henry Street is Billy Higgins Menswear. They do bespoke and designer.

Peter Clohessy's Bar (and the sinbin nightclub) are on Harvey's Quay, which is along the quays on the opposite side of the river to The Strand. Definately worth visiting for a couple of pints. Its a good rugby pub. Nice crowd.

The most notable landmark proximate to The Strand is Limerick Regional Maternity Hospital, not necessarily on everyone's to-do list lol!! However if you leave The Strand by the Ennis Road and turn left, you will come to a line of Edwardian Houses. It is here that Richard Harris (Professor Dumbledore) grew up.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,256 posts
76 reviews
8. Re: Need some advice and ideas

Just to add the Limerick riverfest and regatta are on the 30th April. Its also the first semi final of the Heineken Cup and even though it wont be Munster playing (sorry beanalainn) there will be big screen rugby to watch (bit like grid iron but more physical and no padding).

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
29,068 posts
88 reviews
9. Re: Need some advice and ideas

Thanks Tony - I'd forgotten about the Riverfest. It tends to creep up on us each year :o))

Regarding the rugby - well lets say that if we win the Amblin then Connacht will be playing in the Heineken next season as well so we're just widening the net (I'm a closet Connacht Fan when they're not beating the glorious reds!!)

Denver, Colorado
4 posts
10. Re: Need some advice and ideas

Wow, pretty sick :) I'm a rugby fan (spent a lot of time in South Africa) so I definitely know the game and the rules. Very interested in this!

Is the Riverfest more of a touristy sort of thing or do locals enjoy it also? In the city I grew up in, we had a similar festival, but over the years, it just turned into a huge tourist trap which was incredibly unfortunate.

Back to Killarney, I've heard a lot about the "Ring of Kerry" which I will probably check out, and the "Gap of Dunloe" but I keep hearing about Dingle or something. Is heading out to Dingle worth the trip? It would only be a day trip at best, not overnight so I'm not sure if it is worth it.