We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gap of Dunloe help

Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gap of Dunloe help

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to read a lot about doing the gap, but I am a little confused. My boyfriend and I will be coming from Cork City and should get to the Gap around 11. Without doing the actually tour, about how long does the hike take? Are the boat tours a must do? Can you buy a boat tour once you there, or do you need a reservation? Is it doable to do the gap, drive to inch beach, allow about an hour there and check in to Emlagh lodge in Dingle by 7pm?

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Emlagh Lodge
Emlagh Lodge
385 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,940 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

Yes it is very possible to do what you want to do:

11am arrive Gap start at Kate Kearneys cottage (8miles from Killarney town)

Walk to the gap and back 2.5 hours

1:30pm (Ish), leave for Dingle

2:15 arrive Inch beach and walk there for an hour

3:30pm leave Inch for Dingle

4:15pm arrive Dingle town. Emlagh Lodge is very near the town as far as I know.

So you see, plenty ot time + addotional time there for some lunch on the way - perhaps?

By the way, if you like walking I recomend you park your car at Kate Kearneys cottage and walk to the gap. I do it in about 1 hour 10mins up and 1 hour down (for obvious reasons !!)

It's a beautiful walk with plenty of photo ops on the way. There isn't any real need to to the full circuit including the boat trip on the lake and if you were doing this you would want to consider cycling rather than walking as it would be a much lionger trek

While Kate Kearneys cottage is not the best pub in the world they do serve food there and they will make handmakde sandwiches for you which are not bad at all and you will have plenty of time to call in there and make up your own mind.

Mentioned in this post
Kate Kearney's Cottage
Kate Kearney's Cottage
642 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Dingle
Dingle
Dingle Peninsula, Ireland
Emlagh Lodge
Emlagh Lodge
385 Reviews
Dingle, Ireland
Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

Thank you do much for the help. I am very excited for the trip. I think the hardest part is waiting for August, and the trip to be here.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

With regard to the boat tours. The Lakes of Killarney, while near the Gap of Dunloe, are not really part of the Gap area. If you wished to include a boat trip I would suggest driving to Ross Castle upon entering Killarney and hiring a boat from there to take you around the lakes. But with your limited time I don't think that would work for you this trip. Just have to come back at later date to spend more time in the area. And no, they are not a must do but quite enjoyable all the same.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,149 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Ross Castle
Ross Castle
2,478 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

Have a look at O`Donoghues www.gapofdunloedaytour.com for boat trips.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

Yes, there are several operators of the boat tours but as you will be arriving in Killarney close to 11 you will miss the usual tour departure times. And the Gap day trip/boat tours are an all day full circle trip that is best begun and ended in Killarney town. It is possible to modify such a tour but with you only having 11 am to 4pm in Killarney available this trip I don't think it is worth contacting the operators to see if they can schedule a private tour time for you.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Lawrence, Kansas
Level Contributor
75 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

thanks for all the replies. I think we are just going to do the hike and proceed to dingle. I wish we would have more time in Ireland, it looks like such a beautiful country.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

As you drive into Killarney from Cork follow signs for Tralee and then Killorglin/Ring of Kerry then Gap of Dunloe. This will take you in the direction of the Gap without having to drive through town. This will be N22 and N72 on your map.

Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Tralee
Tralee
County Kerry, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,807 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,149 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland
Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

Bryno, is the uphill a gradual rise or is it steep? We would like to walk through the Gap but I can't handle steep inclines. Thanks.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

I would also love to know the answer to Liccylaccy's question - I will be traveling to Ireland in late October and am concerned about the hiking portion.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,465 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gap of Dunloe help

This is a link to a response I gave some time ago but the landscape has not change too much since:) and so the information still applies. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186612-i487-k2769…

Also if you do a search in the Killarney Forum for Elevation Gap of Dunloe you will get more comment on the terrain.

Total net gain in elevation is 184m or 603 feet which may seem like a lot but most of it is gradual and very doable.

Edited: 15 February 2011, 00:30
Mentioned in this post
Killarney
Killarney
County Kerry, Ireland
Gap of Dunloe
Gap of Dunloe
3,149 Reviews
Killarney, Ireland