We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

I'm from Tralee about 20 miles from Killarney. I had planned to hire bikes in Killarney for a group of 3 to cycle around the lakes. You will agree a straight forward proposition.

I did a search online and found www.killarneyrentabike.com and was impressed by the website as the quality of bikes on show led me to believe it would be possible to hire a decent mountain bike for me and my friends. This shop is also known as the Bike Shop or David O'Sullivans.

I phoned up to enquire and was told to drop into the shop on College street (they have 2 shops in the town) to get the specified mountain bikes I was after. Arrived in Killarney to find said shop closed so I phoned the number pasted to the door. It turned out that he had a few staff call in sick and to drop down to the other store. Unfortunately it started to rain heavily and we abandoned or plans to the following day.

What happened next knocked me for six! When I called into the shop I mentioned I had called the day before (no recognition) so to jog his memory I said the other store was closed because staff had called in sick? That I was looking to hire some bikes?

His reply: "what difference does it make the other store was closed?"

Me: "Sorry?"

Him: Sure haven't we 2 stores?so so what if the other store was closed? (aggressive tone?)

Me: "Am, it doesn't matter that the other store as closed, I was just trying to make conversation..." (I was taken back and lost for words and just about got that out)

Him: "So do you want to hire bikes or not?"

I just left I was lost for words. Here was a guy itching for a fight. I felt I had done something wrong and was inconveniencing him. I live locally so god help tourists who call. Take your business elsewhere is my advice. Unless you want your day soured

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
389 reviews
1. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

Rude person. Does he want to rent bikes or not? You were right to walk out. His attitude lost him money. Maybe he doesn't need it !!

Is this place the only bike rental shop in Killarney?

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
131 reviews
2. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

Bad attitude,he obviously doesn't need the business !!!!!!!!!!

Ireland
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

I thought it was just me. I tried to understand it from his point of view, in that he had staff out sick the day before, but this was early on Sunday morning (the following day) and I was his second potential customer of the day (he had just opened) it was not like he was flat out. So can't get over it!

Yes there are other bike hire shops in Killarney. I had researched it online before making my decision as I was after good quality mountain bikes as opposed to the usual hybrids on offer. His website gave me the impression that my expectations would be met but the quality of service I experienced was in complete contrast to the professionalism and quality exuded through his website.

I was excited by the website but left completely deflated by what turned out to be the reality.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,361 posts
131 reviews
4. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

No matter what his staffing problems are,his priority should be to provide a friendly & reliable service.

There is NO EXCUSE for rudenes.When dealing with the public,no matter how much of a bad day you are having you just smile & get on with it !

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

I'm going to reserve judgement on this. Although it could have happened as you say, I just find in strange that you joined tripadvisor two years ago, and the only thing you have posted on here is an "experience" you had in a bike shop.

That to me seems quite odd it itself.

When I read the post first I thought you had a chip on your shoulder about it, which if it did happen I wouldn't blame you, but then when I realise you have never posted anything else on here except for three posts on this place, I just thought it came across as a bit pointed and maybe you have some other personal issue with the place.

Also it seems that you wanted the person to automatically recognise you from a phone call you had the previous day? did you ask how many phone calls he had the previous day or should yours have stood out for some reason. Anyone in business can take numerous phone calls in a day - why would yours stand out - if you had gone in there in person it might be more understandable that he did not recognise you.

Just my opinion, but as I say I will reserve judgement. You have to be quite careful on here when you read various things - businesses could be ruined through personal vendetta quite easily and I would ask that everybody think for themselves and don't go blindly believing everything that is posted. Not saying it didn't happen Bizgnoireland, but from what you have said I think that you might not have been a happy bunny yourself. Look on the bright side - wasn't it good that you didn't get to rent the bikes the first day - after all it started to rain heavily. Wouldn't that have been a waste.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 11:23
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,058 posts
389 reviews
6. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

The OP posted as late as September '09, and it was a very pleasant , positive review as were other reviews posted in '08 by the same person.

I have no doubt this is genuine. Hopefully Killarney Rent a bike will pull their socks up after they read the original posting by bizgnoireland.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

bryno

he only has three posts up - I am not talking about reviews. Three posts up in two years - not one other post on anything else. I just think that there is more to this than meets the eye. I think there is something else going on here. And I don't think people should just decide to attack that business on the opinion of somebody who has never put a post up in the two years he is registered on here and then puts three up blacklisting a business. I just think there is more to this than meets the eye.

Edited: 22 March 2010, 11:55
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

also if you read it quite carefully you will realise that the poster is getting quite confused. He does not seem to remember which shop was closed. First he says he called the College street shop as it was closed, and in the next paragraph he says he went to the shop he called the day before (college st) but he then goes on to say it was the other shop that was closed - although he never actually went to the other shop as it started raining. ;-)

Edited: 22 March 2010, 12:04
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
9. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

OP: There are plenty of sites where you can review a tourist business as well as Trip Advisor. I write positive and negative reviews but if I get rude service I will flag it up for all to find in a search!

Think of it as doing your fellow travellers a favour :-)

http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/

http://www.qype.ie/ie

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Killarney rent a bike - Take your business elsewhere!

no, not convinced - sorry.

also the poster does not let us know if he actually rented the bikes the following day after all or did he just walk out of the shop and explain why he was not renting the bikes.

I'm all for fair play, but there is definitely something "personal" about this post. and ye should not be taking it as gospel. Maybe if I "knew" the poster a little better and had an idea of who he was, like I do the regular posters on here, but at the moment I find it fishy, and I will go with my instinct and say it is not kosher.

I would love to know if he rented the bikes.