We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

I will be traveling from Dublin to Killarney with a one night stay. Is it quicker to take the Eurorail into Cork, rent a car and then drive to Killarney or take the IrishRail straight into Killarney and rent a car there?

That will only give me the afternoon on arrival day to do something and all day the next before jumping back on the train to Dublin.

I was thinking if I took the train into Cork, rented a car, drove to the Castle then I could drive straight to Killarney after that.

The next day I would like to get up go to Muckross Abbey and Gap of Dunloe, shop a little in Killarney before heading back to the train in Cork...

Just a thought but could you take the Eurotrain into Cork and the Irishrail out of Killarney to Dublin?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

I do not understand what is meant by Eurorail and Eurotrain. Irish Rail operate all the trains in the Republic of Ireland. See www.irishrail.ie for fares and timetables.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

Oh, sorry... I see two different websites - eurail.com and irishrail.ie - so I am assuming that's two different trains. Is that not correct? I'm really just looking for the quickest train to get to Killarney from Dublin with the fewest changes.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

As Drumlough says, Irish Rail are the only operators of rail services in the Republic of Ireland. Eurorail are a web-based company which markets rail tickets and passes for a number of countries including for Irish Rail services in Ireland.

In answer to your question re quickest route to Killarney from Dublin etc - you would be quicker travelling from Dublin to Killarney directly by rail than travelling by rail to Cork and then by rented car to Killarney. Dublin to Cork by train is just under 3 hours with a further 90 minute drive to Killarney (without making allowance for car pick up in Cork). Dublin to Killarney by rail is about 3.5 hours.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

Eurail is just a ticketing system. You would be travelling by Irish Rail because as Drumlough says, in the Republic of Ireland there is only one rail system. You can travel direct to Killarney via Irish Rail, or you could do as you suggest, go to Cork, visit (Blarney?) castle then drive to Killarney, and take the train back from Killarney.

irishrail.ie/your_ticket/…intercity

If you book online you can get much better value for fares, otherwise its around €70 return. You do however need a degree in logistics (or something) to understand the system :)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

Thank you so much for that clarification. I greatly appreciate you both taking the time to respond.

Have a nice weekend!

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,188 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

go to www.irishrail.ie and type in Dublin Heuston as your origin and Killarney as your destination. it will bring up a list of services on whatever date you select. Click the € sign beside each service to check the price. it will range from 10 to 36 euro each way depending on time of day travelled. Make your booking online and swipe your credit card in the green ticket collection machine in Dublin Heuston station in order to print your tickets. Most journeys to Killarney start off on the Cork bound train out of Dublin and you make a very simple change at Mallow to Killarney. You can book online only 28 days or less in advance. The system is very simple and easy to use

Kansas
Level Contributor
461 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

Hi fellow Kansas,

I took the Dublin to Killarney train last year, it can be confusing for first time travelers but its very straight forward.

Train station in Killarney is an easy walk to town. Renting a car there was easy but took longer than anticipated.

I read your post about Dingle/Dunloe, I struggled with a similar choice and went with Dingle- great choice but heed the advice about unpredictable travel times and rent a GPS as well- many signs in those parts are strictly in Gaelic- not English. The town of Dingle was a stark contrast from Dublin but the people were still classically Irish.

Leave plenty of time for photo opps and I'd strongly advise stopping at one of the ancient stone ruins along the way- most are have scenic views of their own and amazing history.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
139 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

Good Morning ShortysboyKansas,

Thank you for the help. I reserved a car online from Budget and did get the GPS. I was just reading on the Dingle area yesterday and they were talking about it being a Gaelic speaking area and to be prepared.

One question I did have after reading it was if the weather isn't the best (we will be going late morning/early to late afternoon) will it be a safe drive? Also, did you take the Connor Pass? Do people stay off this road in foggy rainy weather? I was thinking that if we were running short on time or the weather is bad we may need to skip this and just go back thru Dingle to Killarney. What are your thoughts on this?

So... were you glad you went with the Dingle trip instead of seeing the Gap?

Thanks again,

Jan

Kansas
Level Contributor
461 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

Jan,

My trip was very similar to your itinerary. I was traveling with my sis for her 50th B-Day. We flew into Dublin and out of Shannon- so we never back-tracked but we did Dublin for a day, train to Killarney, car to Dingle and then we meandered north to Ennis and Shannon. Here's my $.02.

Dublin- If you drink beer, try a Guiness in Temple Bar (if you don't like crowds, go early- like 11am early). If you like Guiness, take their Storehouse tour- it's very nice and it ends at the Gravity Bar with great view of Dublin. The final suggestion would be consider their HopOn-HopOff Red buses. They drive around Dublin's biggest landmarks and you get a great taste of the city- making it easy to decide where to Hop Off and visit.

The train to Killarney is okay; nice countryside but not spectacular.

Killarney is small, you could "explore" it in a matter of hours but you could just as easily slip into a pub and spend an equally enjoyable (for me :)

couple of hours. There is no "must do" in Killarney- just stroll and enjoy the friendly people.

Dingle: We took the Connor pass going in and skipped it coming out. Fog/weather will definitely affect your viewing. Skip it if time and weather don't allow. Your GPS will help immensely- assuming yours is as effective as mine. Who ever is driving, however, will NOT enjoy the view as much as the passenger. Bear this mind when planning stops. Gaelic road signs, wrong/other side of the road, stunning scenery all make for a great "ride" but nots so great of a "drive". My sis was a great navigator/passenger/lookout but we weren't rushed and planned to stop often.

Dingle: the people, the countryside, the ancient ruins, the spectacular cliffs.... it's my premonition how ever much time you have here- you'll wish it had been more. Try to meet the people and visit- they are quite far removed from Dublin and even Killarney.

Driving at night will be greatly aided by GPS but still a challenge. I drove to the airport in Shannon in the early morning dark, after an overnight 2-inch snow with snow falling....ugh, The snow was stuck to the road signs, without GPS I would probably still be there (not such a bad idea, actually :)

Hope this helps.

10. Re: Is the Eurorail or IrishRail the best...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2010, 05:15