We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B/Hotel and travel options

Which Killarney hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
B&B/Hotel and travel options

I've got all hotels/B&Bs confirmed for my May trip except for 3 nights in Killarney, and could use some assistance from people familiar with that area. We'

The two options I've got it narrowed down to are:

The Gardens B&B, Countess Road - Pros, rooms are only 35 Euros Single/30 Euros Twin and includes breakfast. Cons, can't find many reviews of it, and aren't sure if their "only 2 min walk to centre of town" claim is accurante (it's so hard to judge distances on maps, especially when the boundaries of the "centre of town" aren't known); not sure of proximity to bus station, which is important.

The Holiday Inn, Evison House - Pros, seems to be right in the middle of things; a bit more comfort/luxury (i.e. fitness centre, etc...); price isn't too bad... have found discounted rate (lower than hotel website) of about 30-35 Euro/Twin room. Cons, doesn't include breakfast; not sure if more central location means it'll be a noisier choice; and, not sure of proximity to bus station.

Has anyone stayed at either of these recently and can give opinions? Or, are there other options you think I should be looking at? Basically, we're there for 3 nights in May and are looking for something in the 30-35 Euro/per person/per night range that's relatively quiet and clean.

Also, general travel question... We'll be travelling from Dublin to Caheriveen prior to these 3 nights in Killarney and are wondering what the best mode of transportation would be. The options would be taking a train to Killarney and transferring to the bus onward to Caheriveen, or taking the bus for both legs of the journey. I think I'd prefer to take the train for the first part, but if I remember correctly there's only about 35 mins between when the train arrives and when the onward bus departs. Not knowing where one station is in relation to the other, is this enough time to get from one to the other to make the connection? Or, should we look for either an earlier train or bus that would give us more time to connect?

Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

Gardens is as close to town you can get without being in town. The Holiday Inn and Eviston House are two different hotels. The former is about 20 mins walk from Town Centre, the latter is in town but probably equidistant from the bus station as The Gardens.

No question, take the train, bus and train stations are very close, 35 mins is loads.

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

Sorry, that should have been the Best Western Eviston House.

Homestead, Florida
Level Contributor
78 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

I booked the Harp B&B for 3 nights. Joan McCarthy got back to me within 24 hours 180 Euros for 3 nights. Great Deal.

Joe

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

The Gardens is very close to town but set back on its own walled property and so is quiet at the same time. The accommodation is very basic, the rooms I recall as being on the smaller side and the place is set up like a motel so the rooms themselves have doors opening to the outside without internal corridors.

Eviston House is on a main street in town. There is lively music in the bar most nights but rooms on the upper floors should be very quiet. One TA regular swears by the place (in a good way!). There are many cafes and restaurants nearby for breakfast items and one to the left out the front door and left into the small shopping mall and down at the end on the right do a full irish breakfast all day for a very reasonable price (E5 or 6).

If you want convenience to the bus and train station though I would suggest looking into Fairview Guesthouse. It is a very short level walk from either one. If you book on their website the rate showing is E32 pps per night and it includes breakfast. More info at http://www.fairviewkillarney.com/

Yes, 35 minutes is enough time to make it from the train station to the bus station. They are right next to each other but you have to walk out of the train station, around or through the outlet center and into the bus station. You could probably sprint from one to the other in under a minute they are that close. However, if you are planning to catch the last bus to Caherciveen there is no guarantee the train itself will be on time! And the rail service are not obliged to coordinate with the busses.

Unfortunately the 9am train costs E20 when booked online but will allow you to get into Killarney at 12:30. You can walk around to the bus station, buy your tickets, leave your luggage and have lunch in Killarney before the 3pm bus to Cahirciveen. The 11am train is only E10 when booked online and so cheaper but leaving you with no way of getting to Cahirciveen if you miss that bus.

Oh, and yes, take the train and then the bus. No one really thinks of taking the bus from Dublin with such low prices on offer by the rail service.

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

Thanks for all your help! We will definitely consider taking the earlier train to make sure we have enough time to make the connection.

For the Fairview, can you tell me where on their website you saw that amazing rate? For the month of May, the cheapest I can find is 90 Euros for a double room (we're not a couple so could the 'two people' also indicate it's a twin room with separate beds?).

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

You are correct. The price for May would be E45pps and so apologies for misleading you. My excuse, I think, is that I had just done another search for someone looking for March. And yes, per person sharing would mean sharing the room and not necessarily the bed.

I did find this offer though at the Killarney Avenue Hotel. The price for 3 nights room only starts at E178 for 2 persons. The works out to be E29.66 per night pps. More info at www.odonoghue-ring-hotels.com/special-offers It is located even closer to town and the train station than The Gardens and easier to get to than Eviston House Hotel.

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

Thanks again for your suggestions.. I just took a look at this hotel and made a reservation. Unfortunately for the days we'll be there the package deal is a bit more expensive, but it still doesn't work out to be too much, especially since it's a 4 star hotel with so many amenities and level of comfort. :-) I feel better now that we've got hotel reservations in each place we're staying and don't have to worry about missing a good rate. We've got them already, but if we happen to see a better one between now and then, we still have the flexibility (losing only a small deposit) to change our plans.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,406 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

Glad things are working out. Let us know if you have more questions and be sure to get back to us with how your trip goes.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

Probably a bit late as I see you have made reservations but we stayed at The Gardens Sept 09, we were 3 adults, we got separate double rooms & as I was the single was pleased that was charged just 30Euros (we stayed 2 nights). It is quiet, motel style rooms facing the large garden. I found the room spacious & the bathroom big compared to other B&Bs we stayed at. The owner was very very friendly & quite informative. Breakfast was good in a lovely dining room& there was a communal (comfy) lounge area near reception.. Easy walk into town about 5 mins. I loved it especially at dusk, I could hear sounds of birds chirping away at a distance & discovered we were not that far from the lakes. Also for those that have a car, The Gardens is particularly safe as its off road & secure.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,168 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: B&B/Hotel and travel options

i looked at the website Tony suggested. The Killarney Avenue hotel came up in May as 65Euro per person not per couple when I clicked onto the rate for the 3 night special in DeluxeDouble room. ps I didnt know what days you are there but I just typed in 16th May just out of curiosity. Looks nice tho. but would double check the price is per couple not per person.