We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

Good morning,

I'm leaving (finally!!) in 5 days. Arriving Shannon around 10:30 a.m., planning to grab lunch somewhere and head to Galway. I figured that would be about as much driving as I'd want to do after traveling overnight. I'm staying at the Connaught B&B in Salthill which, I'm told, is on a bus line that will take me into Galway so I can explore without having to park.

The next day, exploring Connemara and that region.

The following day, driving to Killarney. According to aaroadwatch.ie it shouldn't be too much driving. I'd thought it might be nice to take the ferry across the Shannon at Killimer/Tarbert and relax a little while we cross.

After spending the next day in Killarney (jaunting car??? -- I'm traveling alone. Will that cost me my left arm and left leg?), I'm going to head up through Limerick (Vics -- banoffi pie!!) and spend the next two nights in Bunratty. That will give me time to explore the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin, Lisdoonvarna (single woman, matchmaking -- you do the math... lol) and enjoy the final night at the Traditional Night at Bunratty.

Does this sound workable, without things being a green blur? I want to see as much as possible, but want to be able to remember it when I come back home!!

This forum has been SO helpful -- can't wait to get there. I promise not to be the Ugly American. I might just bring my refigerator magnet that says, "I volunteered in Wisconsin and all I got was this lousy President," with George W's photo on it. Might that break the ice???

Many thanks...

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

Oops ... meant to post this in the general Ireland Forum.

More coffee, please.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,746 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

Hi Rosie - Kinvarra might be nice for lunch on day 1. Take it nice and gently down through Clare and Kerry to Killarney.

The Jaunting Car - It won't be too busy in Killarney when you are there. You might ask the Jarvey about what he could do for you price wise. Alternatively, you might talk to others - they might be prepared to share and split the price with you.

Are you going to Ivans for the Banoffi? After coming off the bridge over the Shannon, travel along the road for about 1 mile (this is through a nature reserve) and take the 3rd turn off the first roundabout (you will be in effect turning right). About 1/2 mile along this road you will see two car parks on the left (ignore the signs and hullabulloo of the new shopping centre on the right that is opening at 10.00 am on Tuesday 20th). These car-parks are Ivans Car Parks. Ivans is the blue-purple building on the corner. When leaving Ivans, turn left at the junction, drive about 1 mile to a roundabout, take the second exit (in effect going straight ahead) and you will rejoin the road you left for Ivans. This is the main Limerick-Shannon-Ennis road.

If you want me to get a banoffi put away for you in Ivans, I can contact them to put one away under Ms Rose. Just give me the exact day!!

Bunratty is about 12 minutes from Ivans (depending on traffic). It is a lovely area you will enjoy it.

Your fridge magnet sounds HILLARIOUS. Both of the Clintons are held in very high esteem over here. They were very active in the Northern Ireland peace process and Bill has played Ballybunion Golf Course (Co. Kerry)

Hope this helps - get back if you want the hip enlarger put away :O)

Take Care.

Humptulips...
Level Contributor
3,287 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

There are three "stages" to the jaunting cars. It depends where you want to stop and turn around. I'm glad Bean said pricewise. Those boys are kind of shtinky from the horses/ponies. Don't be too sure the Lisdoonvarna lads'll be different. I'M KIDDING. They have electricity and all, I'm told. The first turnaround cost 60 Euro(yikes), and then he said to continue on would be another 30. I said no, and then he reduced it to 20. I should've haggled down the first part. Oh well. It was nice though. Get back to us. I can't remember something about that. There's a place along the first part called Echo something. The jarvey shouts or yodels or whatever and you hear a great echo. Enjoy.

Menomonee Falls...
Level Contributor
124 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

Yes -- Ivan's not Vic's. I really did need more coffee at that point.

Good advice about "negotiating" with the jarveys. And thanks for the heads-up about the aroma. Sometimes I like my men a little more on the rustic side but there's a limit.

Counting down..........

Rosie

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

RosieCaat -

I had a similar thought about "breaking the ice" should I wear a T shirt when I'm there that says "Don't blame me I voted for Kerry." BTW - I volunteered too.

Pat

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

Whats the thing about volunteering in Wisconsin?I wouldn't worry about The Bush thing. Opinion is divided here as well as in the states. When GWB came last I was in Galway and I saw a guy with a tshirt that said Bush and Sons Family Butchers. I saw these two Americans reading it and they were so offended it by it! I'm not a Bush fan by any means , but I hope we don't judge every American by his standards. So just come, forget the Tshirts and forget Bush. He should be the very LAST thing on your minds when your here!! IMHO anyway. I can't imagine going to the states witha tshirt apologising for Bertie on it!!! (ok maybe I can , Poor Bertie gets booed every time he sets foot in Croke Park, he's harmless really !)

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

My gosh - I was just kidding.

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

I thought you were. I was too!

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

Still, what did you mean by volunteering in Wisconsin?? Just curious??

Level Contributor
796 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Leaving in 5 days -- reality check

Or was that Rosie caat...?.Hope it's a big pot of coffee!