We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring of Kerry Stops

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Ring of Kerry Stops

Looking for suggestions for places to stop or things to see along the Ring or Kerry? Looking for a recommendation for lunch as well. We’ll be leaving Killarney tomorrow morning and spending the whole day driving it ourselves.

Thanks!

8 replies to this topic
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,982 posts
88 reviews
1. Re: Ring of Kerry Stops

Unfortunately Skelligs Chocolate Factory is closed tomorrow.

But our route is:

Killarney - Killorglin - Glenbeigh - then down to Rossbeigh Beach and back - Cahersiveen - Valentia Island - St Finian's Bay - Ballinskelligs Bay - Waterville - Ballaghisheen Pass - Killarney.

https://goo.gl/maps/AJz8nFmSzfN2

We drive the N71 between Killarney and Kenmare (and Glengarriff) at a more leisurely pace and enjoy it. And yes, it isn't the Ring of Kerry per se but it is a lovely drive.

We tend to pack sandwiches and eat somewhere we can pull in with a view (usually St Finian's Bay).

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,602 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: Ring of Kerry Stops

great suggestions from Bean.....if you don't pack a lunch The Lobster in Waterville is lovely...... https://www.thelobsterwaterville.com/

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
188 reviews
3. Re: Ring of Kerry Stops

Ditto bean's suggestions. The ring of skellig at the bottom is fabulous. We really enjoyed portmagee whilst the drive up geokaun mountain on valentia island was good fun and there are some fabulous views from up there.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
1,768 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Ring of Kerry Stops

Bean and others, just curious that you suggest heading “back” via Ballaghisheen Pass, and not carrying on and doing the south portion of the RoK, Sneem etc.. Any particular reason, given we will only have one day to do the RoK using Killarney as a base? TIA.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Cork
Level Contributor
4,165 posts
70 reviews
5. Re: Ring of Kerry Stops

My issue with that itinerary is the skipping of Derrynane House and Derrynane Beach, which are two of the highlights.

It misses Staigue Fort too, but if you've been to Cahergal already that's not a big deal.

Between Derrynane and Kenmare, the Ring isn't that interesting, unless you are staying in Parknasilla and have use of the grounds.

I might be inclined to use the faster inland route from Sneem to Moll's Gap.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,530 posts
188 reviews
6. Re: Ring of Kerry Stops

We drove the route from Sneem to Moll's Gap and enjoyed it. Very much an alternative to the busy Ring.

7. Re: Ring of Kerry Stops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2018, 19:34
Edited: 08 November 2018, 19:34

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,982 posts
88 reviews
8. Re: Ring of Kerry Stops

Que Pasaa, I absolutely love the Ballaghisheen Pass - we drove it last week again and my love affair continues.

Its not for everyone. I have already seen Derrynane House and Tropical Gardens and Derrynane Beach. And Waterville just doesn't do it for me. BUT different people see and experience things differently.

Reply to: Ring of Kerry Stops
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted