We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon music sessions?

boston
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon music sessions?

Hi, we will be in Killarney on the Saturday before New Year's Eve. Traveling with 4 children ages 6-12 and grandparents. I know most pubs start their sessions around 9pm and children are not allowed so we would love to grab a late lunch or early dinner and have the kids enjoy some of traditional music. Is anyone aware of a local place with Saturday afternoon sessions?

7 replies to this topic
killarney
Level Contributor
106 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon music sessions?

You will be hard pressed to find a place with music in the afternoon. The dannyman pub might be your best bet. You won't be asked to leave any bar just cause you have kids with you. Once their not running wild😀.If I hear of anything I Will let you know.

Marshfield...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon music sessions?

Thank you! Much appreciated!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,463 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon music sessions?

The town itself is quite small and compact and so a short stroll will have you finding such a pub if it exists at that hour. Starting with the Arbutus Hotel, down College street by Murphy's and the Tower Hotel by Dan Lenihans and the Tatler Jack. These are typical options for evening music but may have something impromptu or otherwise during the holidays. The Grand Hotel to the left at the end of Plunket Street or right to the Market Cross and The Laurels. Down New Street there is Charley Foley's and numerous others.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,401 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon music sessions?

I disagree that pubs will allow you to be there after nine with children. They could lose their license and as a result tend to police this quite a bit in places like Killarney, where you might escape in more rural places.The Arbutus as mentioned above does a session on a Sunday, not sure about Saturdays, but worth checking out.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,670 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon music sessions?

agree with Harvey's advice....I've been in a few pubs over the years where parents with children were told due to the law they would have to leave.....

Marshfield...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon music sessions?

Thank you! Good to know.

Marshfield...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon music sessions?

Thank you for these recommendations!