We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
82 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

I know this is somewhat belated but.......

We spent 8 nights in Killarney from the 24th October to the 1st November and stayed in Old Killarney Village.

The evening before we left, our son was called for a swine flu vaccination at fairly short notice. We were somewhat apprehensive but were relieved because he hadn't been well since the start of September. For the first few days, we were on alert (given some of the dramatic media reports on the aforementioned vaccine, we were almost surprised that he didn't develop two heads or green scales!!). The only side effect was a few nosebleeds and some sniffles about a week later. I've no hesitation in recommending it.

But I diverge.

The house in OKV, IMHO, was not up to usual standards. One of the couches was broken and there were small things that could have been done but weren't. If it had been our first visit, I don't think we would have been impressed but because it was our umpteenth visit, we know that this was atypical rather than typical.

We were surprised and delighted by the large numbers of tourists in Killarney. OKV was packed out for the weekend and very busy the rest of the week.

Our week was punctuated by the fact that our elder daughter had to return to Limerick on two days for classes, so we had to work around the bus timetable.

We did a certain amount of walking and sight seeing and the whole area is looking absolutely beautiful.

The highlights of our visit were as follows:

- We drove to Dingle (via a windy Inch beach) and did the Dingle Loop. Visited Louis Mulcahy's sale (didn't do it for me) but then we visited Pat Lawless' Furniture in Ballyferriter. His work is absolutely spectacular (he's on the Dingle loop as you continue after Louis Mulcahy's). http://www.lawlessfurniture.com/ Definately worth a visit. He also does staircases ;o) and kitchens. Drove back to Dingle, had some Murphy's Icecream and drove the Conor Pass in the mist and dark. Interesting.....

- We drove to Skelligs Chocolates www.skelligschocolate.com, stopping off for a picnic and a walk in St. Finian's Bay. Absolutely beautiful, drove home via Sneem in the dark.

- Stopped off in Boyles in Killorglin. They don't have a website yet, but they have a lovely range of everything you need for the house ranging from doors to crystal. This is a new shop and a lovely shop. Their garden centre is brill.

- Visited Kerry Crafted Glass in Kicummin (about 3 miles out the Tralee Road from Killarney). www.irishkerryglass.com This is owned and run by the very talented Terry McSweeney. Terry does demonstrations, blowing and shaping a piece of glass for visitors. He uses recycled clear glass and coloured glass powder and his work is so exciting. His showroom (next to his workshop and both behind his house) has so many lovely pieces. He will also do commissions. Definately worth a visit.

- Did the Muckross House Tour (half price tickets courtesy of the Discover Ireland brochure in the Irish Times of the 19th September). This was a really good tour that I can most highly recommend. It takes about an hour and we had an excellent guide. We've visited several chateaux in France this year including Vaux le Vicomte which was the inspiration for Versailles and Valencay, which was the only chateau to have been built post-revolution (if I can remember rightly - Napoleon hung out there!!). We also visited Chatsworth in Derbyshire. It was very interesting to compare and contrast the three differing styles.

Finally, each year we like to visit someplace different. This year was no exception but not quite what we expected.... Hubby took a tumble at Torc Waterfall on the Friday evening (slipped on a tree root) and broke his wrist. Having made a phonecall to a medic friend we were told that Tralee orthopaedic unit was good.

Hub was assessed in Tralee on the Friday evening and sent home because there were no beds. I drove him back on the Saturday morning for surgery and collected him that night again. Can I take this opportunity to thank, so much, everyone we met in Tralee General hospital.

We all know the difficulties that those working in the HSE encounter, but we experienced so many wonderful, kind and professional people in Tralee General. Hubby was in extreme pain when we arrived and I was quite upset. Everyone we met was gentle and reassuring. This was hubby's first experience of hospital as a patient since he was born!! And it was an incredibly positive experience.

To those in the A&E and Rathass ward. Thank you. If I could post a review, you'd get a 5*

As a result of the upheavals, we only managed to eat in two restaurants: Macs and Salvadors. Macs was consistently good (the staff were wonderfully kind to us when hub and myself arrived in late on the Friday night in shock and with a partially set wrist). Salvadors was OK the first night we ate there and so-so the second and third nights. The kids were delighted by the efficiency of the Killarney Dominos delivery who fed them while Hub and myself were in Tralee on the Friday night :o))

I know this is a somewhat strange and disjointed report, but our visit was somewhat strange and disjointed. We met some wonderful people and I'm looking forward to our next visit.

The Woodlands, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

Thank you for the report. I enjoyed reading it. Sorry about your husband falling at the waterfall.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

Wow Bean, that report was indeed all over the place but thanks for sharing everything. And my experiences of TGH, though limited and second hand, have also been very much of a good nature. And thanks for the links of Lawless and Irish Kerry Glass, I will have to see if they are open in December.

Any other new or off beat suggestions for my upcoming visit?

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,345 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

Thanks for the report Bean - I will return to it on our next visit to Kerry for some great info, and hopefully we wont need the A&E:)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

Tenn4ever,

Thanks for the good wishes. The patient is getting frustrated by not being able to drive himself anywhere or go to work but he's doing OK.

Tony

Pat Lawless is a really nice guy. He's originally from Limerick, his Mum and his brother are very well known flower arrangers. Both he and Terry McSweeney work from home - Pat's workshop is beside his house, Terry's is behind his house (there are directions on the website) so there shouldn't be issues with them being open.

Other than these gems - no. I didn't actually get to shop anywhere other than the Deerpark Shopping Centre, we didn't even get into Killarney Bookshop OR O'Sheas. The Killarney town visit had been planned for the Saturday when I assumed hub would drive us in and leave us (me and the girls) for a couple of hours.

Enjoy your forthcoming trip.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,001 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

Ferdia, Terry McSweeneys work is fab - he sells in Blarney Woolen Mills in Bunratty.

And yes, nice and all as they are in Tralee General, don't put it on the "must-do" list ;o)

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

nice report bean, pity about hubby's wrist. The shock must have been awful. I would agree with hospital nurses and staff in general. Once you have experience of them you come to the conclusion that it is they that should be raking in the millions and not the corrupt bankers - it really does take someone special to do what they are doing. It is only when you see it up close that you realise how invaluable they are.

Didja make it down to see the deer on the grounds of the lake hotel?

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,742 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

Tough break. Still, a change is as good as a wrist. On a more serious note, the staff at Kerry General do a great job. I have visited Muckross House many times with school groups and it always manages to impress me. I will make a point of visiting the Kilcummin glass centre before Christmas. The use of the term 'disjointed' was a little inconsiderate to the poor hubby!!!!

8. Re: Trip Report - Hallow'een Week.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 May 2010, 06:19