We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip to Galway?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Last minute trip to Galway?

Im in Dublin at the moment, and thinking of going on a last minute trip to Galway by train, before I leave Ireland. I was going to jump on a train (to see some countryside while I travel) and stay for a nigth or two in galway before heading back to Dublin to get my flight home to london.

What do you think? any tips/suggestions? I was just going to book some cheap accommodation in a dorm, and spend my time there wandering around and seeing the sights (live music maybe?)

As you may have noticed I am not a very organised traveller, but am happy to just arrive and take in the surroundings. Would love to hear any tips or advice though. Thanks

Galway
Level Contributor
140 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip to Galway?

You can do that...there are several trains a day from Dublin to Galway (cheaper option is Intercity buses, which take about 3 hours). There are two good hostels, Snoozies, and Sleepzone...the weather is wonderful today and a great feeling of Spring - it would be lovely to walk on the beach in Salthill, just 20 minutes walk out along the Claddagh basin, from the Spanish Arch! Thursday night will be busy with students (that is their night before they disperse home), and there is always Irish music in Tigh Coli, and The Crane. There is not much scenery however on the route from Dublin to Galway as its across the flat Midlands (it is only interesting if you can drive off motorway to places of historic interest etc). If you do chance it, then you will not regret it - try McDonagh's fish & chips while here, visit Thomas Dillons Claddagh ring museum opposite TIgh Neachtain Pub, and then have a pint in Tigh Neachtain!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,473 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip to Galway?

This is a great hostel

http://www.sleepzone.ie/

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip to Galway?

Thanks both of you, I'm on the train now and get to Galway in 10 minutes!! Will take all your tips on board and any others that come along :) I'll let you know how I fare!! Xx

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip to Galway?

Chillin at taaffes :) now, where are the young people?

5. Re: Last minute trip to Galway?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2013, 10:34
Get answers to your questions about Galway