We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway on weekend of Oct Bank Holiday...What's it like?

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Galway on weekend of Oct Bank Holiday...What's it like?

Now that I've planned our October trip and made all reservations, I an now looking at the extremely minor details. I just realized that we are staying in Galway during October Bank Holiday weekend. What is the town like, ie traffic, noise, rowdiness etc. Halloween was an exceptionally rowdy time in the town I went to college, hence my concern.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,977 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Galway on weekend of Oct Bank Holiday...What's it like?

Hi rfische

The October bank holiday weekend is the 23 - 25th this year, while Halloween is the weekend after this year so they dont clash.

I wouldnt have many concerns about being here on a bank holiday - traffic will probably be heavy on the friday and monday evenings as people leave or arrive into the city. If you are interested in horse racing - the Galway Races have a meeting that weekend also.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Galway on weekend of Oct Bank Holiday...What's it like?

it will be fine, don't worry. Same as any other weekend really.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,081 posts
160 reviews
3. Re: Galway on weekend of Oct Bank Holiday...What's it like?

Galway is great at any time, but if you have to drive on the Friday of the bank holiday weekend, try to do it in the morning as the traffic snarls up thereafter

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,717 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: Galway on weekend of Oct Bank Holiday...What's it like?

"Halloween was an exceptionally rowdy time in the town I went to college, hence my concern."

The Bank Holiday is the Monday, 25th October. I think it's called the "Halloween" Bank Holiday, but it's not on Halloween. (It will be in 2011 however).

I'm assuming your college experience was in the US? Halloween isn't done in Ireland to the same level as in the States. I was in Galway for Halloween several years ago, and in Killarney for the days leading up to it.

In Killarney there were kids on the streets begging for coins to buy...I'm not sure what! Candy? Noisemakers? Costumes?

In Galway on the 31st I saw a couple of bonfires in some of the outlying housing estates, and the city center pubs were busy but not overly so. There were a few university-aged people in costume around the town, I don't think I saw more than maybe 50 of them the whole night.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
5. Re: Galway on weekend of Oct Bank Holiday...What's it like?

Thank you. I've read that Galway is a college town. The university I went to is in Ohio and is reknown for its rowdy Halloween celebrations that involved the local police.

6. Re: Galway on weekend of Oct Bank Holiday...What's it like?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2010, 06:21