We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

Hello, My friend and I will be going to Ireland in June for 5 nights. We are spending the first two nights in Dublin and then the last 3 in Galway, flying out of Shannon. I haven't booked our Galway hotel yet, and was wondering if it would be a better idea to spend two nights in Galway and then our last night in a smaller town, somewhere closer to Shannon? Just to experience something else and a smaller town. I should note that we be relying on public transportation.

Thanks in advance!

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
253 reviews
1. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

Hi Jean, you might want to consider Ennis.

It is a large enough town but would be different from Galway.

It has a good selection of pubs and restaurants and some lovely shops.

The bus service to Shannon is very regular from Ennis.

www.buseireann.ie

The Old Ground hotel is a lovely hotel in the centre of town which would finish off your holiday very nicely.

www.flynnhotels.com/Old_Ground_Hotel

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,256 posts
76 reviews
2. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

I would second Ennis unless you have a very early flight in which case stay in Shannon just for the previous night. possibly Oakwood Arms.or the Park Inn at the Airport

http://www.oakwoodarms.com/

Edited: 20 April 2010, 23:06
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,737 posts
27 reviews
3. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

i say don't spend your last night in galway with a flight out of shannon...to much to chance...car trouble, flat tire, etc....i always recommend bunratty....

it is a delightful way to end your trip....great pubs and food...great shops....and the ceili at the castle is great, and.....only 15 minutes from the airport......

wow, i just noticed you only have 5 nights total...day one is a non day, and day 3 you will spend half of the day in the car....you must be very young and energetic....hehehe....well maybe you will get to come back again and see all of the wonderful things you will have to miss between dublin and galway....happy travels....

ocean shores, Wa
Level Contributor
77 posts
4. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

I likewise would spend the final night closer to SNN esp. if you have a mid-day or earlier flight. We stayed in Ennis at the Sleepy Hollow B&B and really liked the accomodations. Our hostess put out a cold breakfast for us since we were leaving 30 minutes before a hot breakfast was available. It is located within an easy 10 minute walk to downtown restaurants, pubs, and shopping. It is 1/2 block off a major hiway on the south side of town, and was about a 20 minute drive to the airport. Dan

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

Ennis or Shannon would probably be best - but it only takes about an hour to get down to Shannon from Galway if you wanted to stay the last night.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

Ennis it is! Thank you so much for the advice!

Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

We are three friends from Texas heading to Ireland over Thanksgiving weekend 2010. Can you review our initial plans to see if we are on the right track.? We will arrive early Saturday morning in Dublin. We plan to stay in Dublin Saturday night and Sunday night, pick up a rental car and meander to Galway. We plan to stay in Galway through Wednesday doing day trips both through the coastal area and south of Galway. We will return to Dublin on Thursday and probably but not necessarily return the rental car. We are a little apprehensive of driving in Dublin. We will either continue seeing Dublin on foot or do a day trip on Friday and then prepare for our return to the states on Saturday.

We orginally started this trip thinking tour but determined we would feel stifled in a tour situation. This is our first trip to Ireland and hope to get a good feel for the country. Would love to spend the evenings with locals just enjoying their company. We have not set anything in stone and would be very interested in your thoughts on our plans.

Right now we are thinking Burlinton Hotel in Dublin and Eyre Square Townhouse in Galway mainly for the fact they can handle trip rooms.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

Galway Bay Hotel overlooking the ocean best view in Galway especially at 6in the morning.

9. Re: Last night in Galway- Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations