We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

galway to dingle

los angeles
Level Contributor
106 posts
63 reviews
galway to dingle

My husband and I will be visiting Ireland in July and will be dependent on public transportation. We plan to take the train from Dublin to Galway, but would also like to visit Dingle for 2 days. Will be be able to get there by bus, and is the trip worth it? If not, other suggestions would be welcome.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
61,717 posts
48 reviews
1. Re: galway to dingle

I would always consider Dingle "worth it", but in the context of a bus trip from Galway for just 2 days I'm not so sure.

You have to transfer twice for the trip, and it takes just over 6 hours Galway-Dingle.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,180 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: galway to dingle

Thankfully someone who likes Dingle has said no. So I can safely recommend the Connemara as a better option from your Galway base. You could stay overnight in Clifden or Westport or both. there are 2 regular buses to Clifden, a daily bus from there to Westport. which has Expressway services to Galway Castlebar Ballina and Dublin.

http://www.buseireann.ie/

buseireann.ie/pdf/1213284915-Table-419.pdf

Edited: 19 April 2010, 12:03
ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: galway to dingle

i agree - dingle is lovely but you don't have enough time to experience it - connemara is also beautiful and I would spend my time there instead of travelling to dingle for a few hours which is really all you would have taking in the bus journey there.

los angeles
Level Contributor
106 posts
63 reviews
4. Re: galway to dingle

Thank you all for the advice. The bus trip would seen a little bit daunting. I will check out Connemara too.

5. Re: galway to dingle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2010, 06:22