We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
169 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

I'd like to stay at some basic hotel/motel in Galway downtown. Can u guys suggest some reasonable places in the downtown where I can just safely leave my car & walk around the pedestrian streets & to other nice spots?

Thx!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,388 posts
373 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

What about Jurys Inn. It's right in the city centre and has car parking (which you pay for - but it's not exhorbitant) Jurys Inns can be good value depending on how many are sharing the room (3 adults allowed at one time). Not good value for singletons unfortunately.

I stayed there once and while I am not a Jurys Inn fan in general, I really liked the Galway version. Location is really nice.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

Travelodge certainly meets the criterion 'basic motel.' It's not quite downtown but close enough. www.travelodge.ie

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

You will have to pay for parking in any of the cities in Ireland, so it is usually easier to find a multistory carpark, these will usually be more central than searching for a space on the street.. Having said that, it is generally safe enough to leave a car in a legitimate parking space, obviously don't leave valuables in sight in the car.

Just on a point of information, the term 'motel', while understood, is not used in Ireland, and 'downtown' is referred to as 'city center'.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

If you are going to be heading through Spiddal from Galway then I recommend Tuar Beag guest house, friendly and helpful, I have stayed there a couple of times and have rented their self catering annex. Spiddal has good pubs, food and entertainment. About 10 miles west of Galway. Jurys or Travelodge in town.

http://tuarbeag.bnb-network.com/

ocean shores, Wa
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

We stayed 4 nights at Griffin Lodge B&B this past Aug. It is 3 blocks and less than 10 minute walk to city center. Parking is available. Located 2 blocks west and 1 block north of the bridge by the Spanish Arch. Great location, good breakfast and a terrific hostess.

Dan

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

forget travel lodge and the house in Spiddeal - the Spiddeal one is WAY out of town and travellodge is not in the downtown area.

I would suggest Jurys - right at Spanish Arch

Adare Guesthouse - about five minutes walk

Barnacles Hostel - very reasonable and extremely popular.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

sorry, for carparking I would suggest the Adare Guesthouse - five minutes walk

or Griffin Lodge which is just across the road from Adare Guesthouse.

Galway, Ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

thank God for Whales, my fellow advocate for "the travelodge is not in the city centre". I have not been on in a while and was reading this thinking no!!! someone please point out that the travelodge is a good walk into the city...

explorer08_8 it might be to your benefit to do some digging around in the Galway forums as the subject of hotels comes up quite often and you might find all the info you need already posted

County Galway...
Level Contributor
91 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

Lynfield Guesthouse in College Road is just off Eyre Square.

http://www.lynfieldguesthouse.com

Family run and great deals this time of year.

A friend of mine stayed and she said it was fine.

The hotels around Eyre Square are pretty expensive.

10. Re: Reasonable hotel/motel in Galway downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2010, 05:33
Get answers to your questions about Galway