We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

Which Galway hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
7 posts
Save Topic
Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

We will be flying in to Ireland on a cross-Atlantic flight (on coach) and will be arriving in Dublin. We want to proceed immediately to Galway that same day and renting a car is simply not an option due to the fatigue. We have looked into the Citylink coach directly from the Dublin airport to Galway and are thinking about the train as well. Any tips on what would be the best bet for two really tired and probably hungry people? Cheers!

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

in my humble opinion I would go with the bus - you will get it straight from Dublin airport to the centre of Galway in Eyre Square.

If you want to get the train - you will have to wait for the scheduled train to Galway - depending on what time you arrive. Not only that but you will have to jump on a bus going into town, trekking your luggage with you and still be on time for the train. Or you can get a taxi which will cost you at least 25 Euro. The train is quite expensive also.

Why not eat at the airport - jump on a bus and relax.

but thats just what I would do.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

train times (today)

from dublin to galway

42. Euro per adult

bus Times

from dublin airport to galway city

price 17 Euro

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

Price might be a big decision maker.

Personally I have never travelled Citylink , (usually I take the hourly Bus Eireann service from city Centre) but it is know for being a great service and the advantage is you just hop on at the airport. The journey will probably take about 4 hours. Perhaps if you have time get something to eat in the airport and stock up on some snacks for the journey. Sometimes traffic can be bad.

The train is a nice option more roomy, quicker, but more expensive around €38 return . Food is also expensive on the train. Some services have a dining carriage or trolley service. You could get the airlink from the airport to Heuston Station but I don't think it's worth the hassle carrying heavy luggage around after a long flight.

The time you arrive at might help in making your decision!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

Wales: I'm a slow typist in the morning!!!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,009 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

have you already purchased your ticket?....if not, fly into shannon and you will only be about an hour and a half from galway.....

Galway
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

There's also www.skyroad.com for direct flights from Dublin to Galway. But the bus from the airport is actually fairly painless, and at least if your flight from the States is late you can get the next bus - if you book a flight & miss it, you'll probably lose out.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

dvirah must have lost interest

Galway
Level Contributor
135 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

Yeah, maybe she's really tired & probably hungry already?

Anticipation is half the fun, I've been told. ;-)

Connecticut
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

The train to Galway is 3 hours long; if you take the bus to Galway, I think it is 5 hours.

ireland
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Dublin to Galway while jet-lagged?

the citilink bus takes between three hours and fifteen minutes, and three hours and forty five minutes depending on which bus you take. It doesn't take five hours.