We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

I'm struggling to either find any day tour which cover Aran Island (only Inishmore) and Cliffs of Moher (with at least 2 to 3 hours stop). Most of them are covering Cliffs of Moher and The Burren.

I'm completely comfortable in travelling on my own via public transport and start off early to visit these two places and return back to Galway by evening. Can someone please help to suggest how do I go about it?

Galway - Rossaveal - Inis Mór - Doolin - Cliffs of Moher - Galway

The concern with the above plan is that the first ferry from Rossaveal leaves only at 10:30 hrs, and after reach there the island I believe an average traveller would need 3 hours on the island itself. Thus, I will be done only by 14:30 hrs. However, there is a ferry only at 16:00 hrs from Innismore to Doolin. This will not leave me sufficient time to visit Cliffs of Moher on a week day i.e. 15th of May.

Can someone help to modify this plan and offer alternatives to cover both of them in a same day with ample time at both sites.

12 replies to this topic
Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

I am wondering the same thing. Did you ever find your answer? Thank you.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

@Missy - During summers, it is still doable if one hires a car and drives around. Otherwise, it is pretty much not possible. In fact, I'm surprised that there is no bus swrvice to Galway after Cliffs of Moher officially closes for the day.

Since, I don't know driving, I will have to visit these places, on two seperate days.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

We’re not renting a car either so we’re in the same situation. It’s too bad you can’t do that since I’d rather not make that drive twice (for us in 2 consecutive days) but it’s good to know. Thanks for your reply! It’s very helpful. Enjoy your vacation!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

Thank you Missy. Enjoy your holidays too!

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
548 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

In my opinion the best tour of Inis Mor is Michael Faherty's Tour www.FAHERTYTOURS.COM, Tel.: 091 442913. He's a 7th generation islander and we've taken his tour three times! That's how good it is!

If you only have one day.....and want to see one of the Aran Islands plus the Cliffs of Moher...I would recommend Wild Atlantic Day Tours www.wildatlanticwaydaytours.com - Tel.: 091 778 778 They have a one-day tour that departs from Galway, goes to Inis Orr, and then takes you via boat underneath the Cliffs (spectacular!!!), before you're met in Doolin and are driven by bus up to the top of the Cliffs. We did this for the first time this year and it was FANTASTIC! You only have about an hour on top of the Cliffs, but unless you're doing some serious hiking, this is plenty of time. I prefer seeing the Cliffs from the water. The top (in my opinion) is much over-rated with the hordes of tourists that you will encounter there. If you're pressed for time, walk along the Cliff's edge. Only visit the Interpretive Visitor Center if you have time. The Gift Shop and Cafeteria can easily be skipped. Yes, Inis Orr is smaller than Inis Mor and perhaps doesn't have as many notable areas to visit, but you'll still get an authentic introduction to the Aran Islands. (Check out my reviews with lots of photos of both of these tours on T.A.) I hope this helps.

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
548 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

I hope that I am not saying too much here, but perhaps it will help other travelers; especially those who have two days to devote to this.

There are two factors that prevent you from doing both Inis Mor and the Cliffs of Moher in one day. As you pointed out, the ferry boat schedule to and from Rossaveal is not early and frequent enough to get you out to the island any earlier than around 11:30 am. Even with the availability of quick flights: Aer Arann, info@aerarannislands.ie, +353 91 593034, you are also correct that a couple of hours on Inis Mor really isn't enough time to do the island justice. That's why I highly recommend the Michael Faherty Tour (ride his small bus, not the bikes or pony carts) because as a local, he is able to maximize your time spent there. For example, I was able to walk to the Cliffs of Inis Mor (the World Heritage Site of Dun Aonghusa) in almost complete solitude. It was brilliant. Only upon my return did I start to run into other tourists.

Secondly, even if you were to go out to Inis Mor early morning, return, and have a car at your disposal, the drive to the Cliffs of Moher takes about 1.5+ hours each way from Galway; road distances aren't what they appear on maps. However, in my opinion,three hours at the Cliffs of Moher is too much time to allocate, unless you're going there specifically to hike. The weather sometimes is not ideal, visibility can be low, tourist buses are MANY, and while the Interpretive Visitor Center is interesting....it still won't take a lot of time. That's why I recommended The Wild Atlantic Way Tour.

There are boats (www.doolin2aranferries.com) that go from Doolin to Inis Mor; and then perhaps you could catch a bus or taxi to the Top of the Cliffs of Mor, but I suspect that you'd have the same problem with ferry and public bus (Galway - Doolin) schedules, and having adequate time at each place.

If you have only one day and want a good introduction to both, I'd take the Wild Atlantic Way Aran islands & Cliffs of Moher Tour. One last bit of advice...Keep in mind that weather can adversely affect especially the smaller boat crossings; however even in the first week of April we were able to do both Doolin-Inis Orr and Doolin- Cliffs of Mor crossings.

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
9 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

Thank you!

DHG
Boston
Level Contributor
548 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

You’re welcome Missy. I hope it works out for you. Have a great time in Galway!!!

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
300 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

Thank you DHG for your valuable recommendations. I went with FAHERTYTOURS to Aran Islands and Michael is a great guy, and has so much to offer. We did really enjoy the tour.

Itinerary I ended up following:

1. On day 1, I took the tour suggested by you and went with Faherty tours, and was happy about it. The weather wasn't that great to start off with yesterday, but it improved as we reached Aran Islands. If it would have had a good forecast a day before, I might have tilted towards cycling on the island by myself. The view from the fort cliffs is amazing.

2. On day 2, I took 8:00 am 350 bus number from Galway to Cliffs of Moher which reached at around 10:30 am. We walked towards the end of the cliffs which is on O'Brein tower, and took some photographs, sipped on tea, sat back and relaxed and took a bus at 1:20 pm from Cliffs of Moher to Galway.

I think on a good weather day 2 hours will be more than sufficient for an average traveler.

Thank you once again, for giving us the detailed information!

Maryland
Level Contributor
4,822 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?

Anil K -Great detailed report, thanks for returning to post.

😎

Reply to: Can I cover Inishmore and Cliffs of Moher in one single day?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Galway
Recent Conversations