We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking Connemara region

Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
42 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
hiking Connemara region

Hi! My husband and I will be at a conference in Galway late August. We would like to do some hiking in the area. We are pretty serious hikers; have hiked in the Alps, New Zealand, China, Alaska, etc. I was thinking there might be some day hikes we could do in the Connemara region, but I haven't found much for serious hikers online. Any suggestions? Flat destination hikes are fine, too (e.g. to a cultural or natural site). Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,253 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking Connemara region

Consider taking a day trip to the Aran Islands (Inishmor), you could have a hike from the pier in Kilronan out to the Dun Aengus fort. It might not qualify as a strenous hike or anything, but I can think of worse ways to spend a day. I cana't recall exact distance to the fort, maybe 4 miles or so, hopefully someone can chime in with that.

Here's a report of someone doing 30 miles around the island over a couple of days, more than you would want to take on for a day trip I imagine, but gives some idea of the scenery and lay of the land:

www.irishside.com/tis/content/nyt/126.htm

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking Connemara region

Have a look at this thread here all about hiking in Connemara and Dingle:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g211883-i1858-k355…

Plenty of links to click round and have a read...

This picture here shows some hikers in Connemara's famous 12 Bens mountain range:

…wikimedia.org/wikipedia/…Connemara12Bens.jpg

:-)

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking Connemara region

Hi, Much of Connemara is wet bogland, not good for hiking.

But I would like to do this walk someday:

http://www.goconnemara.com/content/walks/

Click on "The Lough Inagh Walk" for directions. The Inagh valley is one of the most beautiful areas of Connemara.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,911 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking Connemara region

Most of the Connamara is Wet Bogland ??? Not good for Hiking??? and the sea's not good for swimming and the Guinness isn't for drinking. By the way we all have Donkey carts, live in thatched cottages and talk like John Wane in the Quiet Man.

If you accept the fact that little of that is true then check these links

sleepzone.ie/Walking__Hiking_in_Connemara/De…

roundstone-connemara.com/activities/roundsto…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking Connemara region

If you're looking for something more serious then the classic Connemara mountain walk is the Glencoaghan Horseshoe. See:

mountainviews.ie/mv/index.php…

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php…

It's described in various hiking guides, including Lonely Planet's Walking in Ireland and Best Irish Walks edited by Joss Lynam.

This walk is a serious and very strenuous undertaking; like most Irish mountain walks there are no trailmarkers - navigation requires competent use of map and compass.

For this walk and others around the area you will need the Harvey Connemara Superwalker 1:30000 map (ISBN 9781851373383)

6. Re: hiking Connemara region

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2010, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about County Galway