We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

Swanton, Md
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

I am perplexed as to whether to go to see the Book of Kells or not. Most of the comments seem to indicate that you can only see a few pages in the actual book and that the crowds sometimes prevent a good view. Everyone raves about the beauty of the long hall leading up to or beyond the book. Can we just go in and see the long hall, or do we have to pay for a ticket to do so? Thanks!

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

Are you into books? dont just go if its not your thing. I found the Book of Kells interesting , it is laid open in a glass case, obviously you cant thumb through it.

But the Long Library upstairs completely overwhelmed me, completely awe inspiring, I cant remember the cost, but I got to TrinityCollege early, about 15 mins before opening time and there wasnt nuch of a queue, when I came out the queues were tremedous, so get in early.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,544 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

To me going to see the Book of Kells is like visiting the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa. It is a bit of an anti-climax. The Long Library is however wonderfully atmospheric

Knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

In my opinion, it wasn't worth it. The book is under glass, and only 2 pages are open (I think one text page and one illustration page). The crowds make it hard to get a good look as well. If you've seen pictures, it looks the same. The hall upstairs after was very cool, but overall I felt like I would've been better served using the 9 Euro to buy a couple pints honestly.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
288 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

We plan on seeing the Long Room. Is the Book of Kells in that same spot or in another building?

Knoxville, tn
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

In the same building, if it's the library room. It's after the book, so I'm not sure if you can just do the library hall.

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,507 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

It is 9euro for the book of Kells, but for only 1 euro extra you can have a guided tour of Trinity College. I really enjoyed this, even though it was freezing! The tour guide was a current student.

Swanton, Md
Level Contributor
156 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

Thanks to all of you who responded. As usual, I can count on lots of help from my trip advisor friends!

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
101 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

Thanks for this post...I have been wondering the same thing.

michigan
Level Contributor
75 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

I thought it worth it and i am usually not into such things. Te hall is quite impressive. On other hand state museums in dublin are free and the archeology one is pretty good. Cmpared to the tourist trap at blarney, the book of kells is a real irish gem worth seeing.

10. Re: Trinity College Long Library & book of Kells

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 07:17