We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$ fees

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, OR
Level Contributor
62 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
$ fees

1.Does anyone know what the fees are to use the ATM's?

2.We were told here in the US to wait and convert our money over there for better conversion rates? Is that true?

3.Is it easy to convert US dollars there? Some areas better than others?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,093 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $ fees

Hi littlebearUSA

Most people advise to take a small amount of Euros with you and then to use the very plentiful ATMs throughout the country to withdraw money as you need it. The charges for doing this vary depending on what US bank you are with.

If you do a search on the forum you will find many posts discussing the charges applied by various banks.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,704 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $ fees

ATM give a better rate of exchange than over the counter. The only charges are applied by your own bank, not the Irish ATM,(we Irish pay for that). The best rates are reputedly with Credit Union Debit cards and capital One Credit cards, do not draw cash with a credit card, interest is applied immediately and is the last to be taken off if you do not fully clear everything on your next bill.

Do Not bring Travellers cheques you will only take them home because no one over here will cash them.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,649 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $ fees

Obtaining Euros in Ireland is as easy as it is for you to get dollars in the US--ATMs are everywhere!

We have never bothered to obtain some Euros before heading to Ireland. It's costly and a bother that's not necessary. There are ATMs in both the Dublin and Shannon airports so you can easily get Euros before you "hit the road".

Don't forget to notify your bank/credit union about your overseas travel so they don't put a flag on your bank account and your credit card account for possible fraudulent use when overseas charges appear.

Syracuse, New York...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: $ fees

Question 3: On my last trip I had brought $100 US dollar bills and found them hard to exchange in the Westport area where I spent the first few days. Only one bank would exchange them. The Westport Plaza was kind enough to offer to exchange one as they were aware of the issue I was having. As stated above using the ATM machines seem to be the wisest course of action.

As longhorn74 pointed out notify your bank/credit union about your overseas travel. I have had to call back to my bank in the USA on all three of my previous trips to unlock my credit card as they were flagged for fraudulent use. Although a pain when the card is refused it is nice to know someone is watching out for you. The cards were unlocked immediately and I had no other issues using them on my trip.

Edited: 02 October 2012, 20:56
Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,181 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: $ fees

One additional tip, Littlebear, is to make sure the charges to your credit card are in local currency (Euro in Ireland).

You may be asked if you would like the bill/check in US dollars. (Dynamic Currency Conversion!)

Always ask in advance that the charges are in Euro. (Or, whatever the local currency is, when traveling outside the US).

cardhub.com/edu/dynamic-currency-conversion/

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $ fees

In the unlikely event that you have any $ left over at the end of your stay ( ha!), you can convert € back to $ at a post office without any charge.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,921 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $ fees

You may want to get small euro bills before you leave , Even though there are ATM's in the airport and all over Ireland- If you withdraw say 200 E's you will get 4 -50's and some stores were reluctant to change a 50 euro for a small purchase.

The ATM does not charge a fee but my own bank levies $5 ( I am good with this- I look at it like a small price for being fortunate to be a tourist)

People spend thousands on a holiday and then quibble over the small stuff.

Williams, California
Level Contributor
20 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $ fees

My husband and I read that there are allot of skimmers on the ATMs in Ireland is this really a big issue? We were going to wait to get money once we arrived but now are concerned we she just exchange before we leave? We will be staying in city center.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $ fees

The skimmer problem is not as bad as it was but it's still advised that you cover your pin while using the machine. This applies in most countries. Many banks have indoor ATM's and these obviously are less likely to have any problems.

10. Re: $ fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 06:17