We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6 nights in Ireland

oahu, hawaii
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
6 nights in Ireland

Hi,

My husband and I are planning our first trip to Ireland. We have 6 or 7 nights and I need help deciding where to stay and what should be on our definite list. We plan on flying into Dublin, and out of Cork. The only definite is that we are leaving Europe from Heathrow, but where we end up in Ireland, as long as it has an airport, is up in the air. I realize there are TONS of things to do in Ireland, and 6 nights is not enough time to go see everything. I have read up a bit about the different areas and We are thinking of driving west from Dublin to Galway and then working our way south and east to end up in Cork. I know the big ticket items are Ring of Kerry (is this really worth it? I know there is the ring of dingle which is shorter and less busy), Cliffs of Moher, Killarny, and a number of great towns in between. I would like to spend 2 nights in Dublin, and at least one in Cork. Where should we spend the other three? We will have a car, but I really don't want to spend my time driving the entire trip. I would like one day for a long day hike (10+km). Other than that we are a young couple who are foodies, love beer, a good music scene, and a lively pub. While I know its hard to stay away from the "touristy" areas being that a lot of the best bits are popular, we do like quaint towns that don't have leprechaun and four leaf clover type shops everywhere.

Any suggestions would be helpful! sorry for the longwinded question.

Dublin
Level Contributor
132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 6 nights in Ireland

Personally, I like Kenmare (Kerry), small place but the scenary around that area is beautiful. There's also a really lovely restaurant there called The Lime Tree (converted school house). Dingle is a bit touristy but has lovely shops/pubs to go to. You would have to travel via the Conor Pass which is also stunning (on a good day). There will be plenty of pubs offering music either in Cork or Kerry.

Hope this is of some use.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,365 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6 nights in Ireland

With two nights in Dublin and one in Cork, your options are limited. I would suggest Galway as a base for two nights and give two nights to Cork, especially if you are flying out early.

Otherwise, you could skip Galway and as has been suggested head for the south west to somewhere like Dingle or Kenmare, the latter being a better option for travel on to Cork

Edited: 05 March 2012, 17:12
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,641 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6 nights in Ireland

If you have only 6 nights (and 3 of them are devoted to Dublin and Cork), then I'd spend the remaining 3 nights in Kenmare. There are great hiking and sightseeing opportunities there. (We did the 10 km hike around Muckross Lake in Killarney NP as well as hiking the Gap of Dunloe). In lieu of driving the Ring of Kerry, I'd recommend doing the Ring of Beara which we found to be much more scenic. (And since it's smaller, you can easily do it in a day from Kenmare.)

If you have 7 nights, I'd split the 4 extra nights between Galway, so that you can do a day trip or an overnight trip to Inishmore, and Kenmare. We loved our overnight trip to Inishmore and biked all over the island.

oahu, hawaii
Level Contributor
68 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6 nights in Ireland

Great! Thank you all so much for the advice! I am hoping for 7 nights but it all depends on others plans.

5. Re: 6 nights in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 18:41