We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

I will be staying at FitzPatrick Castle with my 13 yo daughter in June. Since we'll be taking the DART from Dalkey station into the city center every day for sightseeing I thought the weekly DART pass would make sense. I think what I need is the Inner Short Hop ticket... this will also be good if we go all the way to Howth one day, right? I understand that the pass is good from Sunday thru Saturday so if we go in on our first Saturday, we'll have to pay for that trip seperately. I was able to finally find the operating hours of the Dalkey station and I should be ok buying the ticket there as I apparently can't buy it online. What I can't figure out is what exactly the ticket for me and for my daughter will cost, so I am prepared and know that I am getting the right pass when I do buy it. Can anyone help me with that part?

Related to that, I am wondering if I should get the bus option added on...? I was planning on buying the 2 day HOHO bus ($16 euro for both of us) and making sure we do the farther away sites first and then if we need it I can always buy another HOHO ticket, but anticipate that after the first usage we can probably just walk to the other places we want to see. But... I think that maybe the added cost of adding the bus option to the week pass is like 2 euros and is good for the whole week...? I know it's NOT good for the city tour bus which I think is the HOHO bus, right? I would have to use 'regular' buses to get around. And I am not sure if it's not just better to not get the bus option with the pass and simply pay for the HOHO instead...?

I hope that you can see that I am trying to figure this out but am kinda lost on what to do. And I must say that the website isn't all that helpful :>( I looked at some color coded fare chart and there's no explanation of how to read the darn thing! And defining an area using names that don't appear on the map doesn't help either (although that may be my failing).

I am very comfortable with subways but less so with buses, but once I get the hang of it, I'll be fine. It's just all knida new to me so I need assistance figuring it out the first time.

In any case, I'd sure appreciate some help figuring this out!

Jayne

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

WOW! Irish Rail like to make it difficult to find out info don't they!!!

I've done a bit of trawling and this is what I have come up with, apparently the prices are correct as of 4th Jan 2012 so fingers crossed they haven't changed since then!!!

Inner short hop = €29.30 for adults (no child rates) + bus = €37

The Inner short hot ticket is valid to on the entire Dart network including Howth

Weekly point to point tickets: Dalkey to Howth = €24.90 for adults (no child rates)

Dalkey to city centre = €19.20

City centre to Howth day return = €4.60 adult €2.25 child.

I found this info here: railusers.ie/passenger_info/fares_matrix.php

7 day tickets are indeed valid Sunday to Saturday. Use this www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=198&a=0 to figure out how much your ticket will be for the first Saturday.

If there is no one at Dalkey Train Station when you arrive you can buy tickets from the vending machine.

I think 2 days with the HOHO would be enough. The furthest attractions from the city are Kilmainham Gaol, The Jameson Distillery, National Museum Collins Barracks, Museum of Modern Art, Phoenix Park including Dublin Zoo and also The Guinness Storehouse so do these first. The rest of Dublin is easily walk-able but if you feel you need a bus there is an inner city fare of .50c if going less than 4 stages (let me know if you need more info on this)

I hope this information is of some use, if anything is unclear let me know and I will try to explain better! Irish Rail leave a lot to be desired, especially with those maps!!!

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

Thanks! I still have questions <grin> but at least know that I am not being a complete airhead!

Ok. So I could go the weekly point to point and save the 5 euro as Howth is the farthest we'd go and it's accpetable ticket use to get off before the last point and back on before then too... right? But wait - it's 3,5 euros cheaper to buy the Dalkey to City Center for the week and buy the Howth return ticket seperately on the day we go there from the city center stop. See? I can read this stuff if I am given a chance - LOL!

What I am not sure of - and this is key for me- is if the weekly point to point allows multiple usage per day. I don't anticipate that we'll be going in and out of Dublin more than once a day (it takes more travel time that I'd want to do that) but emergencies happen and a mid day trip back to lodgings could happen.

It will cost 10 euro more to buy the HOHO ticket for 2 days than the bus add on option for the week but you think the HOHO bus would be a better way to go... right? I am not too concerned with spending extra money if it's money well spent - to enhance our experiences, make life ALOT easier, etc. but have no desire to just toss it away for no good reason either. After all, that's why I am here on TA - to get the best bang for my buck and best travel experience I can!!

The station website says that the desk will be open both Saturday into the evening and on Sunday - so as long as the person is really there, I can buy not using the machines (which I am ok with but it's probably easier to use a person). I clicked on the 'use the machines' tutorial but of course it's not really there yet. I am not too worried about using the machiens as I've found people to be really kind in helping me out in such circumstances. In Paris, someone explained the metro machines to me and I was able to return the favor and give another newbie a lesson later on that week :>)

Yes, i was on the same website to figure out the first Sat. fare if we go in but it really doesn't help. It say fares 'from' and that a return 'may' cost less - and I can't click on the fares to see that info as I can't buy them online - which means I can't click on them to just get the info either! Oh well, irish Rail isn't the only website out there that's less than helpful :>)

Oh, the ticket machines in case I do have to use them... do they take a regular (not chipped) credit card? or do I need to have paper money and coins at the ready?

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

Hi!

Yes you can use the point to point ticket to travel between all stations on the line between the start and end points. You can use it as much as you like or as little as you like during the day.

I'm not sure if my maths are correct but I think you save €1.10 if you buy the Dalkey to city centre (specify Connolly Station when buying it, it's the furthest station from Dalkey in the city centre) €19.20+€4.60=€23.80 ??? Maybe I'm wrong or just not understanding properly.

The ticket machines are extremely easy to use, I'm sure you wont have a problem. I'm not sure about the chip and pin query, I'm passing Connolly Station this evening so I'll have a look and report back.

The HOHO in it's self is sort of a tourist attraction, if you go on one choose one with live commentary and you will learn much more about Dublin. If you want to just use it as a method of transport it doesn't work out as good value for money, you'd be better using public transport. I think the HOHO is a good way of seeing the layout of the city and learning about things you might not notice on your own.

Two other quick comments, firstly, when going to Howth ensure that you disembark at Howth and not Howth Junction which is three stations before the village. Secondly, be sure to spend some time in Dalkey Village. It's a really beautiful village with fantastic views. Dalkey Castle is good fun. Have a look here tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k450191…

Let me know if you have any other questions.

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

I think I was factoring the savings somehow on being able to buy a child ticket too but I am sure it's my maths that are off and I am happy to take your numbers and not even bother to figure out what I was thinking at all :>) The important thing is that it's cheaper for me to buy the weekly point to point for Dalkey to Connolly and the Howth trip seperately and it doesn't add any hardship to do it this way.

I am also happy to take the advice to just buy the HOHO tickets. I have to figure out exactly when I am going to use them though... some attractions have guided tours (free!) but onlyoffered on specific days and times and I have to plot them out on my Dublin map to see how all the puzzle pieces fit together best. I LOVE that part of planning!

If you get the chance to report on the credit card situation at the ticket machines, that would be sweet of you. Don't go out of your way though; I am sure it'll be fine. I am making a note to get cash at an airport ATM if I can ( if I have time - I need to catch an Aircoach on the hour and am not going to miss one and have to wait another hour because I stopped at an ATM!). Otherwise I am sure there will be one in Dalkey if I need it.

I saw that there is a Howth and a Howth Junction and am prepared. Thanks for the reminder though!!

I am toying with the idea of not going into Dublin on our first Saturday and going into Dalkey Village instead. That way we still see cool stuff but also can deal with any jet lag, etc. upon arrival. Alot will depend on how soon we can get into our timeshare unit to frreshen up, take a power nap, grab lunch, etc. I will read the link as I haven't done much toward making that decision yet.

I am really starting to feel that this Dublin visit is coming together! Which is good because I need to move on soon to the other cities we are visiting :>)

Jayne

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

I looked at the ticket machine and there's nothing to suggest you can't use it without chip and pin, one side seems thicker so as to accommodate the strip on the card, sorry I can't be more definitive.

While there I checked the price for an adult weekly between Connolly and Dalkey and it came up as €21.10, so it looks like my fares quoted above are a little out.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

I just want to add something about foreign exchange as you mentioned using an ATM at the airport. Have you started your research about this yet? If not here is some reading to get you started!

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k492361…

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k462518…

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

Great - more reading! LOL! I'll read those topics tonight. I did just open a CapitalOne acct. so I'll get ATM transactions with no fee from them and they also reimburse for the fees the owner of the ATM charges. Their exchange fee is competitive.. but now I am wondering if the different ATMs will charge differnt exchange fees... hmmm... have to read those topics you gave me!

Break to go get daughter from school. Good because my shoulders are killing me from sitting here too long typing:>)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

Only your bank will charge you the exchange fee, Irish banks and ATMs will have no control over it. ATMs here do not charge fees.

Happy reading and enjoy the rest of your planning!

9. Re: DART Weekly Pass - Need Help Understanding It

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 21:41