We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 17 Hurling Competetion

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
March 17 Hurling Competetion

AIB GAA All-Ireland Senior Club Football Semi-final between Dr. Crokes (Kerry) and Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) is scheduled for March 17 at Croke Park Stadium. Does anyone know if this is the kind of event that gets sold out? I would believe it is a holiday in Ireland that day? Should I buy tickets online or at the stadium when I get to Dublin on the 16th?

Tipperary, Ireland
Level Contributor
51 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

Not a chance it will sell out so you can buy tickets from any ticket master outlet near the venue on the day.

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

Okay, that should work out fine then. Any helpful hints before we go to a Hurling match?

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
875 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

The game you mention is football, hurling is a completely different sport.

www.gaa.ie

Dublin
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

It's a double-header on St Patrick's Day - the All-Ireland Hurling Club Final is on too.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

Buy a programme so you can identify players, all of whom have to wear helmets. A goal is worth three points, if the ball goes over the horizontal post but between the two verticals,it is worth one point.

The 17th of March is St Patrick's day and many streets will be closed due to the parade.Where will you be staying?

Edited: 15 February 2012, 19:47
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,987 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

Sorry, should have clarified that all hurlers wear helmets, footballers don't.

In football you cannot throw the ball, you can take a number of steps and then must either pass the ball or do a "solo",whereby a player drops the ball to the toe and back up to the hand.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

Just to clarify that the winners of AIB GAA All-Ireland Senior Club Football Semi-final between Dr. Crokes (Kerry) and Crossmaglen Rangers (Armagh) played this Saturday 18th February will play in the football finals in Croke Park. The will play the winners of St Brigids (Roscommon) and Garycastle (Westmeath)

These finals are a good chance for people to see both hurling and football at a reasonable price without having to hustle for tickets.

last year

football http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8j4TDNnE48

hurling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWeHYZMVVCQ

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

We are staying at the Croke Park Hotel so very near the stadium. Now, I'm confused, I thought there was a hurling event at Croke Park on 3/17. Is there both football and hurling?

Concord, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

I think I got it now. A double-header, both hurling and football, even better! My son will be thrilled.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,183 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: March 17 Hurling Competetion

Yes, you are lucky to be getting two top class games, which will showcase the two best club teams in the country in both hurling and football.

You will definitely be able to buy tickets on the day as the club finals do not sell out.

You might consider a tour of the stadium if your schedule permits, as you are staying so close to the ground. However, the tour does not take place on match days.

crokepark.ie/GAA-Museum/…Stadium-Tours.aspx

Edited: 15 February 2012, 23:05