We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day In Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Breton Island
Level Contributor
81 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
One Day In Dublin

Hello

We are in Dublin for only 6 or 7 hours off a cruise ship,in April.

Are there any castles that are close that are open for tours close to the dock area and what's the easiest way to get there?

On The beach 51

Florida
Level Contributor
1,298 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day In Dublin

There are buses to get you into the city center. I would do a hop on hop off bus. There is Dublin Castle in the center of the city.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day In Dublin

I have done this off a cruise ship, they should lay on shuttle buses into the city centre, usually Kildare Street.

We went first to Trinity College to see the Library (get there early to avoid queues), then got a hoho bus tour ticket, went rounfd the city and stopped off at Kilmainham Gaol, then back to city centre, even had time for a pint in a pub.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One Day In Dublin

With such little time I would advise avoiding Dublin Castle, it's name is deceiving as it's not really a castle anymore. It is a centre of administration more than anything. You can do tours but they mainly consist of state rooms etc. Perhaps if you had more time you could add Dublin Castle to your list.

I like fushsiagirl's itinerary, you will get a good feel for Dublin and see what I consider to be one of Dublin's highlights, Kilmainham Gaol.

If you are dead set on seeing a castle you could visit Dalkey Castle, you will need to take the Dart from Connolly Stn, Tara Stn or Pearse Stn, it will take about 30-40 minutes to get there. This is really cutting it tight though and will leave very little time to see the rest/any of Dublin City. Purist will also tell you that Dalkey Castle is not a true castle, just a medieval fortified townhouse!

There is another contributor here who often recommends Drimnagh Castle, I have never been but his descriptions sound very good. You would need to take a bus there, and again, this would leave you with little time to explore Dublin City.

Best of luck.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,248 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: One Day In Dublin

Re. Drimnagh Castle, the Luas tram will take you from the docklands to the Naas Road and you can walk to Drimnagh Castle in about 15 minutes from there. There is however little else to do or see in Drimnagh

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One Day In Dublin

I would add that it would be very unusual for the ship not to lay on shuttle buses as you are not allowed just to wander round the port, they dont advertise this much in advance as they are trying to sell you their overpriced tours.

NJ
Level Contributor
673 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One Day In Dublin

With that short of time, take a hop on hop off bus tour. There are 2 companies: 1 has red busses, the other green.

You will get a nice overview of the city & the history. There are no castles per se but there is plenty of amazing architecture including 2 cathedrals & you can see the old medevial wall.

The tour of the Dublin Castle is more like taking a tour of the WhiteHouse. It does not have a castle feel at all.

7. Re: One Day In Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 10:17