We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
atlanta
Level Contributor
118 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

hi, we are flying into dublin on a sunday morning early june - we have 4 days and 3 nights before we must be in galway. my 15 year old son wants to see a little of dublin the day we arrive and i have my heart set on trying to see dingle and doing the slea head drive before getting to galway. is there a scenic route from dublin that wouldn't be too much driving that we could do in 3 days? should we drive straight to the dingle peninsula and stay 2 nights, or break up the trip and stay 2 different places? any other suggestions? after this we will be in galway for 2 weeks but can only take days trips from there. we would really appreciate any advice/recommendations you have! thanks much!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

If its any help you can get from Dingle to Galway in 3 1/2 hours non stop and Dublin to Dingle in 4 and a bit.

Personally I would take a couple of days to get to Dingle and see a bit on the way. Kilkenny for a night and Kenmare for another.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

Id see a bit of Dublin,then head,as Tony suggested to somewhere on the way to Dingle. I think you should head the Cork route towards Dingle, as you will be heading back through Adare/ Limerick etc on your way to Galway. (there is a ferry you can take, if you'd like on that option)

The day you leave Dublin you could head straight to Cork city, stopping off on the way at the Rock of Cashel if you'd like (but get there early before it gets too busy)

Then Cork to Dingle (where you will be skirting around Killareny, if you want to stop and see some of the sights)

atlanta
Level Contributor
118 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

thank you so much! since our time is SO short : ( and my main interest is seeing dingle and going on the slea head drive would it make more sense to catch an inexpensive flight to kerry and pick up our rental car there? or would we be missing too many beautiful sights on the drive from dublin? - again we literally only have 2 nights after leaving dublin (assuming we spend 1 night there) before we have to be in galway for professional obligations.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

By the time you have got to Dublin Airport Checked in trolled to the furthest reaches of departure gates then boarded flown and disembarked then got out of the airport and driven up to Dingle you could have driven there from Dublin.

Have you been to Dingle before or is this just a "straight from the guide book" urge?

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,300 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

You may find the route planner on www.aaroadwactch.ie helpful.It will give appox times & distances for your journey.

atlanta
Level Contributor
118 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

LOL - "straight from the guidebook urge"? well i guess in part - but also i have had friends tell me the area is beautiful and that i would love it! they also had more time than i do to explore though. : ( so sounds like i should just drive! - and thank you mary - your route planner suggestion/link looks like it will be very helpful too!

atlanta
Level Contributor
118 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

oh - and tony and harvey - thank you both - i think i will take your adive and stop over night one place on the way - thanks!

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

The Island of Ireland covers 32.6k sq miles. The Dingle Peninsula covers just over 200 sq miles or 0.6 of the area of the Island, just over 1/2 of 1%.

Hopefully you and your friends will come back and spend some time exploring the remaining 99.4% some time.

9. Re: help with dublin - dingle - galway in 4 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2013, 21:14