We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

My husband and I will be visiting Ireland in July for 5 days. Our lodging is already booked (and paid for) in Dublin for the duration of the trip and we know that we'll want to spend 3 days in Dubin proper but are looking for suggestions for the best day trips from there for the other days.

We're in our late 40's and enjoy: seeing beautiful countryside, wondering aimlessly around quaint villages, poking in shops, visiting interesting pubs, etc. We would like to tour a castle and perhaps do some moderate hiking, maybe visit one of the crystal factories, etc.

We've perused the Discover Ireland website and read through the tours on the Railtours Ireland site but are looking for personal recommendations/suggestions. It also appears that most of the major sites hit via the railtours are quite a distance from Dublin and that most of those tours are a very early morning to late at night affair (likely because they're packing so much into a single day). We're not opposed to renting a car and/or motorcycle if we get some suggestions for day trips that we could attempt on our own.

So, can you share your recommendations with us? Is the Giants Causeway a must see? How about the Ring of Kerry or Cliffs of Moher?

Obviously at the end of the day we'll make our decisions based on what sounds best for our needs but I am curious to hear what others think.

Thanks much for your input and expertise!!

Cheers

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,836 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

The Giant's Causeway, the Ring of Kerry and the Cliffs of Moher are all worthwhile sites to see, but I think you would find them too far from Dublin to be a feasible day trip.

I would definitely make one of your day trips to Glendalough N.P. Not only is the scenery fantastic, but there are hiking options as well there. We did the Short Spinc hike and the views of the lakes from the top of the hike were absolutely amazing.

Another excellent day trip for you would be to Trim Castle. (It was used in the filming of "Braveheart". Ask at the entry to see the photo album.) There are several nice other ruins within walking distance of Trim Castle that are worth a look. Trim is a nice little town and I imagine you could putter around there a bit.

The best way to go to each of these places would be by renting a car and doing it on your own.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
194 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

+1 on Glendalough. It's closest to the city so involves the least amount of traveling.

Ring of Kerry is roughly a three hour drive each way so might not be so appropriate for a day trip unless you're up for that kind of journey.

Kilkenny town, Ireland's "medieval capital" is about an hour outside Dublin by train and is a popular tourist destination. Another place for good hiking and quaint villages is the Cooley Peninsular about 1.5hrs drive outside Dublin (roughly half way to Belfast). The Mourne Mountains are also near this location and have good scenery.

If you want beaches then the coast of Waterford between Tramore and Dungaran is worth considering and is about a two hour drive. Note that some of these journey times are by tolled motorway.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

Hi,

Trim castle is a must, it is really a Keep but go early in day as places can be limited on the tours.

From There you could go to Newgrange there is also a Boyne river drive you can do, you could also see Salne Castlee and the Hill of Slane, if you rent a car or there is a great tour company- Mary Gibbons who runs trips to both places.

you would need to rent a car to the Giant's causeway but well worth it, while there you could also see the Bushmills distillery, Dunluce Castel, the carraick- a -rede Rope bridge. the next town east is Ballycastle, a nice quaint village.

Enjoy yourself no matter what you do :)

Orange Park, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

Thanks to all for these great suggestions. I think it's sounding more and more like our best bet is to rent a car for a day or two and strike out on our own. Trim Castle and Glendalough have been added to our list!

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
137 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

Someone beat me to it with Newgrange, which is a unique Irish experience. Please forget about the Ring of Kerry, unless you have a helicopter. Distances in Ireland may look short on the map but, believe me, it is waaaaaay too far for a day trip- more like five hours to get there.

For cute villages, consider Carlingford, Co Louth. But don't overlook closer options, like Dalkey, which you can reach by DART local rail- wander around, hop back on the train and walk Dun Laoghaire pier, visit the James Joyce Museum and the Forty Foot sea bathing spot.

Enniskerry Co Wiclow is also cute (but small) and near the lovely Powerscourt Gardens and Waterfall. You'd need a car for that - could work it in with Glendalough ( take the route past Glanmacnas waterfall on one leg- the bleak beauty of it is worth seeing)

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

Not a hope you could do the Ring of Kerry as a day trip from Dublin!!Even if you drove non-stop at high speed. Glendalough can be done by bus as can a trip to Newgrange. Dublin city is difficult enough to drive in for locals, so I'd skip hiring a car unless you will be staying somewhere outside the city.

7. Re: Suggestions for Day Trips from Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2013, 10:31