We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, UK
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

Hi there,

We are coming to Dublin this weekend & land in Dublin about 11am, we are travelling with our 15 month old who will need a good sleep after a mornings travel!

We are staying at The Clarion in Liffey & can't check in til 2pm, I think we will go to the zoo that afternoon, but I wondered if there's a scenic spot we could drive to once we get our hire car? It's only 20 mins to the zoo & she will want to sleep for a good hour. Sorry, I know this is a very random request!!!!

Thanks

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
23,936 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

Would you contact the hotel, explain your situation and ask them if there was a possibility of getting an early check-in? If the hotel isn't hugely busy the night before, it may well be possible.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
7,809 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

The Zoo is in the Phoenix Park you could drive around that place for a week lots of different places like Farmleigh in the park.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

Yes, I also immediately thought that it would be a good idea to drive around the Phoenix Park. It is safe and you can drive slowly down the roads and enjoy all the sights. There is a herd of deer there which you will certainly catch sight of, and lots of other things to see. There is also very little chance of getting lost as you will be close enough to the zoo all the time

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
23,013 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

Just be aware that with the road repairs to Chesterfield Avenue, you might want to plan a different route to the zoo.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

Hi Nats

Those naps are so important! It will take you a bit longer to get to the zoo from the airport than you imagine - more like half an hour I would think. The main road in the Phoenix Park is undergoing some major construction between now and December as mentioned above so this could cause even further delays.

My advice would be to head straight to the Zoo Car Park - One person stay with the car and the sleeping baby while the other person heads to the Zoo to queue for the tickets, buys the tickets then returns to the car to collect you. Thereby passing a bit of time while meaning that you can just go straight into the zoo without having to queue with baby. The queues at weekends for tickets can be quite long.

Details of road works in Phoenix Park -

phoenixpark.ie/newsevents/title,17075,en.html

London, UK
Level Contributor
507 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

Thank you!  I am always so touched with how helpful people are on TA!

And dubfam, you are right, for us all to have a nice day we need a nice nap!

Phoenix Park sounds lovely, I have a TomTom which has maps for Ireland on it so we should hopefully be ok for directions, and if we get to the zoo super early we will go for a drive there first.

Thank you!

Nats

Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

There are the Dublin hills you can drive up one of them to view the city

We loved The Marino

8. Re: Odd request - need to drive for about an hour!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 16:16