We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

USD to Euro Currency Exchange

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
129 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
USD to Euro Currency Exchange

Are there any recommendations of places to exchange USD to Euros that do not charge insane fees for the transaction? Also, how much in Euros is recommended to have on hand when we get to Dublin before we can get to a good exchange site? In the states, you get fees out the bum in exchanging currencies, so we want to come over with as little as possible to get us from the airport to a location where we can get a good exchange rate with little to no fees. Recommendations?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,946 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

The general consensus appears to be that a Credit Union card used in an ATM will give you the best value with the least charges. ATM exchange is generally the best way to go and save you bringing a load of $ across. €200 should see you right on your 1st day. Do not exchange money at the Airport booths. Irish ATM do not charge for withdrawals but your bank will, make sure you tell your bank you are coming to Ireland and use a machines that is attached to a Bank when the banks are open just in case there is a problem.

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

Consistent advice on this forum is to withdraw cash locally in Ireland from ATMs. This apparently gets you the best exchange rate. Irish banks do not charge withdrawal fees for use of their ATMs - any fees arising would be charged by your bank in the US, who also determine the exchange rate used.

ATMs are quite widely available, so accessing one is seldom a problem, though you might want to take a limited amount of euros with you - say €100 - just in case of any delay in finding one on arrival.

You should also advise your US bank of the fact that you will be travelling abroad to avoid any difficulties with withdrawals while travelling.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,579 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

The advise given already is the best possible advice. I have also heard that American branches of Credit Unions have the most advantageous fee for withdrawing abroad. Not with standing that, should you find yourself in Dublin and need to exchange $ for € there is a small exchange place on O'Connell St next to The Spire (in the Tourist Information Office - navy blue shop front - formally JWT) I have found this to be the best value for money, it was even better than my local bank which offered commission free exchange but a bad exchange rate.

Enjoy your trip.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
129 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

Thank you all so much for your advice! I have heard many different methods of money management while over, so I want to make sure I do the best possible from people who actually utilize the services instead of news sites that have biased opinions! :-)

Thank you so much!

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,420 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

I know some people aren't comfortable traveling without some foreign currency in hand, but we do it all the time. We have found ATMs readily available in both Dublin and Shannon airports. It generally costs a lot more to buy foreign currency in the U.S. than to get it from an ATM in an airport.

Check the rates on your ATM withdrawal before you go--you may be pleasantly surprised. We paid no fees to use the ATMs in Ireland, either to the Irish bank or to our credit union and bank (we used cards for accounts in both) and our conversion fee was only 1%.

Edited: 08 July 2011, 15:41
Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

longhorn is absolutely right....you don't need to bring any euros with you when you come to ireland....the airport atms give the same exchange rate as you would get if you use your atm card at one of the irish banks....

i only know this because i used mine this trip at dublin airport, two days later i got the same number of euros and the exchange rate was exactly the same........

different banks charge different fees....my bank charges no exchange fees but charges me $1.00 for each cash withdrawal overseas no matter the amount i withdraw....if i make purchases with the card there is no charge at all........

new york
Level Contributor
957 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

Also... don't forget to call your bank and credit card companies to tell them that you will be traveling to Ireland, especially if you do not plan to bring any cash with you. I, personally, always have at least 200 Euro in cash on me when i travel to Ireland. I have a Chase bank account and the fees are not bad... the exhange rate is sooo much better than what you will get at the airports, etc.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,080 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

noseymama, i hope i didn't confuse the issue....i didn't use one of the bureau of exchanges, they are way too high, used a bank atm...my bank charges $1.00 per transaction no matter the amount, no exchange fees charged......

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

Base on our personal experience from our trip last year, I would strongly echo what other's have said about using an AMERICAN CREDIT UNION ATM card in Ireland. I received the exchange rate based on the time/date the Ireland Bank transacted with my CU with no additional fees. I contacted my CU before I left Maine. I had absolutely no problems getting Euros.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
514 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: USD to Euro Currency Exchange

In case you do not have a credit union card, you may enjoy the same favorable rates by using your bank's ATM debit card (Citibank, Chase, whoever your regional bank is). As Longhorn said, there is an ATM at Dublin airport arrivals. No fee charged to use machine and favorable exchange rate offered. I traveled to London & Dublin in April and just withdrew money upon arrival in each country at the airport and then more in the city as needed. You will want to check with your bank to see if they levy a per withdrawl charge, in which case you want to withdraw more cash at once.

If you have a debit card and use it for purchases in Ireland, instruct the salesperson to process the charge in the local currency (euros) and not in dollars as you will receive a less favorable exchange rate if the charge is processed in dollars.