We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Afternoon Tea

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
144 posts
4 reviews
Best Afternoon Tea

Hi

This has probably been asked before but looking for some up to date info.

I would like to book an afternoon tea in Dublin for my parents' as a birthday treat and am struggling to decide where to book - at the moment, I am thinking the Westbury, Shelbourne or Merrion. The Merrion seems quite a bit more expensive for what it is, and the cakes look a bit too fancy maybe! Not looking for gourmet fare, just a nice ambience which will feel like a special treat, nice food and plenty of it! Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

Susan

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,694 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

Shelbourne or the Gresham.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
8,087 posts
161 reviews
2. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

My wife is taking her mother to the Westbury for afternoon tea next Saturday, based on recommendations from friends.

I have heard much praise for the Shelbourne. One of our former regulars on this forum, tapl, always gave it the thumbs up.

Personally, I have always thought the Merrion to be very over-priced.

Edited: 30 June 2011, 20:50
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
182 reviews
3. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

The Shelbourne for definite, it just has a special feel to it, can't explain it any other way

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

Another vote for the Shelbourne. I have never been to an afternoon tea. But the Shelbourne has that old school opulence and charm which is what I imagine people look for.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

If you want something with 'olde-worlde' elegance then book the Shelbourne, something 5* 'business' style then book the Westbury and something discrete chic and 'Michelin*' style then book the Merrion. There are other fine Afternoon Teas to be had at the Gresham, the Clarence and others but we always return to the Shelbourne for it's classic style. If your parents are in the 50+ bracket then the Shelbourne will charm the socks off them - the nearest equivalent we can think of in Edinburgh would be the Balmoral...

Dublin.
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

The Shelbourne has been doing afternoon tea for ever, beautiful Hotel!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,608 posts
182 reviews
7. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

Anyone planning on afternoon tea anytime soon? This deal is available until 15/07/2011 and the voucher is valid until 31st of October. http://www.grabone.ie/dublin/davenport-hotel

Just remember to reserve your table as soon as you get your voucher, places fill up pretty quick.

Dublin
Level Contributor
477 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

I recently had experience of one ot these daily "afternoon tea" offers although not in this establishment and all I can say is you get what you pay for.

For a special treat this is not one to go for - The Shelbourne is a real treat and the Westbury is a very popular spot for afternoon tea also

Enjoy

Regards

Sorchs

9. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 April 2012, 08:35
Dublin, Ireland
1 post
10. Re: Best Afternoon Tea

Afternoon Tea

try O'Shea's Clonskeagh. The only Pub in Dublin at the time of writing to supply the service,