We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More cell phone advice, please

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
More cell phone advice, please

Hi, we will be arriving next week in Dublin and were planning to buy/rent a Tesco mobile for our phone calls back to the States and within Ireland. Would like to pick up the phone asap upon our arrival, but am not sure where to go/look for the store. When on the Tesco site, they ask which Dublin district I want to shop in, but I don’t know which district we are staying in? In Dublin, we will be staying at the Best Western Premier Academy Hotel on Findlatter Place & O’Connell St. Which district is this?

We will probably be taking the bus from the airport to our hotel, which I understand drops off about 1 block away.

Also I can’t seem to figure out what the rates are for the Tesco phone within Ireland. They only state what the call rates are for international calls. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
16,748 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More cell phone advice, please

20c per min which works at 10c per min if you take the double credit into account. Free Tesco-Tesco now with the €10 top up rather than the previous€20.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/OurPricePlans.aspx

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More cell phone advice, please

Your hotel is in Dublin 1. The nearest Tesco is in Parnell Street, about 5 minutes walk on the far side of O'Connell Street from the hotel. Probably simplest if you ask for directions at the hotel reception on arrival.

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: More cell phone advice, please

After this thread I finally found our nearest Tesco. I put in Dublin in the store locater and it took me to England. Then I put in Dublin, Ireland and it located everything in Dublin county but nothing in Dublin city proper. Finally, Dublin 2 did it. It was a bit frustrating. I almost called Tony out on his Tesco mobile promotions. Just kidding of course. I am pleased to have that finally sorted out for next months visit.

Edited: 19 April 2011, 01:20
Manchester, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More cell phone advice, please

Thanks everyone for your help! Just bought an unlocked global phone,so hopefully it will really be unlocked & I can just purchase a sim card. I think I've read before that I will still need to go to one of their stores. Is that accurate? @Domhnall, thanks. I'll scope out Dublin 1 and the places on the Tesco web-site on a map, so I can find them when we get there.

Manchester, Maryland
Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More cell phone advice, please

@tony2phones, was hoping I might get your feedback on my "very loose itinerary" post on the general Ireland forums today. :)

So, if I am understanding correctly I can buy a sim card for 10euros there (Tesco) & top up for another 10 when I purchase, thus giving me 20euros worth of airtime, correct? Sorry to be dense about this. Also will this same card allow me to make calls both in Ireland and internationally? Again, apologies, it just doesn't seem like their web-site is very detailed... Thx

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: More cell phone advice, please

Yes I agree the website is awkward. I did send Tesco Mobile an email and they were prompt. And I am dense on this too, Tworoads.

Edited: 19 April 2011, 04:25
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More cell phone advice, please

I had the same questions as above along with...do you have to return the phone to the same store?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
16,748 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More cell phone advice, please

jhoward45....You buy a phone complete with Sim card for about €20 and top up €10 which effectively gives €20 credit....( more if you then register the phone) so no need to return the phone as you have bought it. If you have an unlocked phone compatible with the European frequencies (dual or quad band) then you just need to buy the sim card which is free with a €10 top up which gives you your €10 plus another €10 which has to be used within 1month.

Edited: 29 June 2011, 15:49
Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More cell phone advice, please

thank you tony...thanks to your advice we got a phone in dublin at tesco yesterday

Toronto
Level Contributor
99 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More cell phone advice, please

hi tony,

going to ireland myself in september. i have an unlocked blackberry torch i am hoping to use while there. (not sure if it has WAP)

so i go to tesco, get a free sim card, 10euro top up (which gives me 20euro). i can then dial international long distance home to canada for $0.01/min-landlines, $0.02/min-cell phones, and $0.14/min to send text messages. right?

my questions are:

can i still use my bbm while in ireland?

can i avail myself of the talk/text and web surf bundles?

as well can anyone who went to ireland recently let me know if the 20euro was enough to talk, text and surf. i really will only be calling home to let everyone know we arrived safely (actually will probably text or bbm if i can), daughter and hubby are giving the number to their employers in case of work related stuff. and we will only be surfing while on the road if we get lost or need food :)

thanks in advance