We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belfast City Airport to Dublin

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
218 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
Belfast City Airport to Dublin

Good afternoon,

My husband and I will be travelling to Norwich, England to visit my grandparents for 2 weeks in July. We would like to include a brief holiday (3-4 days) in Dublin as part of our travels.

I have found Flybe flights our of Norwich to Belfast City that seem very reasonable. However, I am having some difficulties in determining how best to get from Belfast Airport to Dublin. A lot of the bus and train timetables and prices do not seem to be posted yet.

I have researched some of the touristy things to do in Dublin and we have thought that the Temple Bar area may be where we wish to pick our hotel. So all that being said, could you please answer a few questions for us:

1) What is the easiest and most efficient way to get from Belfast Airport to the Temple Bar District of Dublin? Car, bus, train?

2) We are willing to rent a car if that is the most efficient, but what difficulties with insurance might we run into if we rent in Belfast and drive to Dublin? Is parking in the Temple Bar District reasonable and easily accessible?

3) Is the average temperature in Dublin REALLY only 65F during July?

Thank in advance for your advice.

KIM

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,586 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belfast City Airport to Dublin

An adult return from the Europa Bus Centre in Belfast to Dublin cost €23, there are departures every hour and the journey takes 3 hours. http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1282311638-1.pdf

Which of Belfast's airports you are flying into? Details for the International here: belfastairport.com/en/…by-bus---coach.html and for George Best here: belfastcityairport.com/To-and-from-the-airpo…

Some days in July we get lucky and the temperature does infact rise to 65F!!!

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Belfast City Airport to Dublin

I'd recommend you forget about renting a car and take the train. It's about a fifteen minute taxi ride from the airport to Belfast Central station and two hours from there to Dublin Connolly. Temple Bar is about a 12 minute walk from the Connolly station

Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belfast City Airport to Dublin

Endorsing what Soonas is saying, train is an easy way to get from Belfast to Dublin and City Airport (aka George Best Airport) is only a short ride from the railway station. Driving and car parking can be difficult for the uninitiated in central Dublin, so I'd avoid the car hire option, particularly if staying in Temple Bar.

The Temple Bar area is a 10 minute walk from both Connolly Station and Busaras (Central Bus Station). The Busaras is the terminus for bus services from Belfast.

One final point - have you checked out the option of flying directly from Stansted to Dublin with Ryanair. Stansted is accessible from Norwich by National Express coaches and by rail, usually with a change at Ely. I'm unsure if it is a more cost effective or faster option than travelling via Belfast but it is worth investigation - though beware of Ryanair fees and conditions which can be restrictive and costly.

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,388 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belfast City Airport to Dublin

Here is the link for the train times. Fares etc are also on this website.

translink.co.uk/Enterprise/…

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belfast City Airport to Dublin

I would go with the option suggested by Domnhall,

train or coach to Stansted from Norwich and fly to Dublin, much the easiest way, hiring a car in Belfast and leaving it in Dublin would not work as it would have to be repatriated by the car hire firm and a car in Dublin is worse than useless as you have to find somewhere to put the damn thing while you travel around by public transport.

Atlantic City, New...
Level Contributor
66 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belfast City Airport to Dublin

We were just there and took the train from Belfast to Dublin. It was a delightful train ride; our train ticket was in first class and so we had food and beverage service the whole time. I would highly recommend the train...

WINNIPEG
Level Contributor
218 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Belfast City Airport to Dublin

Thank you all for the great links and information. I don't think we will be renting a car, as part of the fun of travelling in Europe, for us, are the subways, buses, and trains. Love the first class idea from Belfast to Dublin.

I will be checking out Ryanair, but I was thinking the train through Ireland may be a good way to see some sights in our short time there. Either way, we will need to take the train from Norwich to Stansted or from Belfast to Dublin.

Thanks again. I am sure I will post more questions as our trip nears.

8. Re: Belfast City Airport to Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 13:17