We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tutankhamun

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
87 reviews
Save Topic
Tutankhamun

Just wondering if anyone had been to this exhibition at the RDS yet? Thinking of going with my parents as a day trip but not sure how long it would take to go round?

Going with my parents would be a 7+ hour round trip (part of it by train so not as tiring as it sounds) but unforuntately it wouldn't be easy to do an overnight over the next couple of months.

Panajachel...
Level Contributor
172 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tutankhamun

We saw the exhibit when it was in New York last Spring. It was pretty awesome, but I wouldn't travel such a long way for it.

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tutankhamun

I'm considering taking a school tour from Kerry but have the same reservations as yourself ponaire. The site makes it very attractive. http://www.kingtutdublin.ie/home/exhibition/

Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tutankhamun

What date will this finish we are in Dublin from March 16 to 21 Thanks I think the kids will love this

Tralee, Ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tutankhamun

Im also interested in this ...Im considering taking my son as we were in Cairo last july but unfortunalely as time did not permit among other things we didnt make it to the Egyptian Museum to see some REAL egyptian antiquities thou i suppose seeing the great Pyramids does count!!

I read that these are not the real thing though but very very good replicas as they are not permitted to show the real ones in the exhibitions thast are on the move any more... such a pity i know the replicas are top class but for me anyhow i feel a bit cheated not seeing the real thing... so if anyone has feedback it would be most welcome .as its a long day trip from Tralee.thanks m

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tutankhamun

I think it is on until June. I plan to go next week and will post back

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tutankhamun

That would be great, soonas!

Dublin, Ireland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Tutankhamun

Was at exhibition yesterday wonderful.I had already seen originals in Cairo some years ago but it was still a wonderful experience.It was so good that after a short time there I forgot that they were just replicas. Beautifully reproduced.To be highly reccomended.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tutankhamun

I eventually got to see this exhibition. I have been interested in all things Egyptian, since, as I young boy, I saw pictures of the treasures.

The exhibition is wonderful. There are two introductory films each about 5-8 minutes and then you are led to exhibits showing each of the chambers in the tomb as they would have looked when Howard Carter saw them for the first time.

This leads to a display are where the replicas are then laid out to best advantage. One of the advantages of having replicas is that you can get much closer and see more detail than would be possible with the real artifacts.

The audio guide, included in the admission price is well done, but you can just as easily self guide as there are descriptions at each exhibit.

I spent just over an hour there and it cost €16. Well worth it IMO. car parking is vaialble on site, and you can get a discounted price for this if you register online

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,303 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tutankhamun

This exhibition ends on 23rd July

http://www.kingtutdublin.ie/home/

10. Re: Tutankhamun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 11:16