We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

What is the process for claiming a VAT refund at the Dublin airport? I understand that I'll need to have my receipts, VAT forms from the merchants and the goods purchased. My main question is, when do I get the proper customs stamps? Is it pre or post security? And is the refund processed in the same place or do I have to go somewhere else? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
11,140 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

“Unable to apply for a VAT refund because the VAT office was closed at my departure time”.

Do you mean there was no Customs officers available to stamp the forms? May be a good idea to contact the Customs officer before you check in with the goods and paperwork.

“I understand that I can mail the forms back after they've been notarized in the States”.

Did you have the forms stamped? If not, you will be unable to have a refund.

Good luck!

Alexandria, VA USA
Level Contributor
585 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

We didn't even have time to deal with the VAT refund when we departed this morning. And honestly, we never saw a sign or anything directing us to the VAT desk. We're going to mail it all from here and hope that's good enough.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

wow, things must really be changing...i have never gotten anything stamped and up until my last trip i always got my vat refund....my flights have always been before the office was open and i just put them in an envelope and left them....i hate to hear that.....

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

hi

I did purchases at ARGOS, they gave me completed VAT refund form with receipt. All the shops have their own VAT refund form. Heatons gave me their own VAT refund form.

Do I need to present those forms at Global Refund Desk? at Dublin Airport

Edited: 08 May 2011, 21:36
carolinas
Level Contributor
219 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

Bon-Voyage - just there 2 weeks ago. here is the process.

There are two VAT refund schemes in Ireland. At some shops you will see a sign indicating FEXCO Tax Free Shopping. By far the easiest. At the first of these shops ask the merchant for a card. Looks like a credit card. At some shops the VAT will be deducted from your purchase at the cash register - essential you pay by credit card. Other shops may not give the credit but you'll get it later. Simply present the card wherever you see the FEXCO sign. I'll deal with the airport part in a minute - but you will need to "register" your card before you leave Ireland or any VAT refunds will be recharged to your card.

Not all merchants use this system. Other merchants use the traditional method. Ask for and you will be given a lengthy receipt on which you will fill in name, passport # etc. The receipt shows the amount of VAT you are due.

Now- at the airport:

You check in at your airline and go through Irish security. Up 2 levels is what they call the LOOP. Duty Free shopping here but also the area to claim your VAT refunds. As I said earlier if you made any purchases using the FEXCO card it is ESSENTIAL you stand in this line and register your credit card with them. If you don't, any refunds you received will be recharged to your credit card. Now you need to stand in the other line, right next to FEXCO ,to receive any other refunds. These receipts state clearly that you need to present your purchases for examination in order to receive a refund. I don't know if this is true because I gave up at this point.

Get to the airport at least 3 hours early if you plan to do any VAT refunds.

frank

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

hi

Thanks a lot. Really useful information.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

don't know about dublin airport but yesterday morning in shannon, after i was through security, i presented all of my paper VAT forms in one line and was told the paper work was correct and the VAT would be credited back to my card...

then i took the credit card looking VAT to another line, gave the lady my card number here and she said the VAT would be credited back to my card for that also....

neither line asked to see the merchandise....will keep you posted on whether or not i get my money.....

oh, almost forgot, both lines combined took about 3-4 minutes....

Pennington, New...
Level Contributor
196 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

Was in Dublin two weeks ago. Don't remember which line is which in Terminal 2 but... Left side window said we couldn't process VAT refund because we weren't returning directly to U.S. but other European countires. Right side window was closed so I had no chance to talk to them (watched for 30 minutes for someone to return).

I also thought I remembered reading that if you spent less than $2000 or 2000 Euros that you didn't need Custom's stamp. I could easily be mistaken about that.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

I realize the original question is a few months old, but I thought I would share my recent experiences with the VAT refund in case it helps other travellers. I recently returned to Toronto, Canada from Dublin Airport. While shopping in Ireland, you must ask each merchant to issue you a VAT refund receipt. They will sign it and return it to you. You must fill provide information on the receipt such as description of items purchased, personal demographics, length of stay, passport number, credit card verification etc. Hold on to these receipts. An alernative that is being introduced in some stores is the Fexco card. Tax is not charged on purchases when you present this card. BUT, and this is a big but, you must register the card online and follow the refund process at the VAT refund desk at the airport, or the taxes will be charged to your credit card at a later date. Now at the airport...the refund process takes place after you obtain your boarding pass and clear security. Our flight to Canada was departing from Terminal 1. The VAT desk was closed. You now proceed to Terminal 2 (interconnected ten minute walk) to the Duty Free Shopping area to the VAT refund desk. There are two lines here... the right hand line is where you present your VAT refund receipt forms. Be prepared and have them correctly filled in with all the necessary details. One person in line ahead of me, simple process. Now move to the left hand counter... here you present your Fexco card and relevant receipts. I was asked to show my boarding pass and Passport. Simple process. I was NOT asked to show any of the goods that I purchased. The taxes will be refunded in 4-6 weeks to your credit card, although I understand that even if you paid cash you can choose to have the refund made to your credit card. Hope this helps!

Nebraska
Level Contributor
516 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: VAT Refund at Dublin Airport

Frank's post should be pinned in the top questions. He pretty much nailed it.