We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The M50 Question

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7,869 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
The M50 Question

Could someone clear this up for me once and for all, I am going to Cork from Belfast and obviously the M50 is en route, I don't get all this e-flow stuff about paying the tolls, do I have to register my vehicle before hand ? or can I just simply pay at a toll booth and be on my way ? what are the guidelines, please help a confused Northerner.

Dublin Ireland
Level Contributor
2,142 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The M50 Question

There is no toll booth, so you cannot pay cash. You can either pre register your car, or pay on line within 24 hours of passing through the booth free toll.

You can sign up for either option on e-flow.ie

Dublin
Level Contributor
513 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The M50 Question

There is no toll booth! There are a few options: pre-register on eflow.ie so the anoumts will be automatically deducted from your credit card, but to be honest if you are only going to pass through twice it seems a bit involved to set up a whole account... the other options are: there are large signs with a phone number to call once you pass under the tolled area(between exits 7 and 6)- call it before 8 p.m that day (or if its after 8pm, 8pm the next day) and give your car registration number and pay with credit cars. OR go into any shop with a PAYZONE sign and pay there.

edited to say there are tolls on the M1 as well (just outside Dublin, all the way to Belfast) and these have manned toll booths

Edited: 15 January 2011, 12:49
Dublin
Level Contributor
513 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The M50 Question

oh, and there are now tolls on the new Dublin to Cork road as well - the M8 and these are manned aswell- it is just the M50 where there is barrier free tolling, but you can call the free-fone number as mentioned above

Wicklow, Ireland
Level Contributor
837 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The M50 Question

I have "Video Registration" which is pretty easy to set up online on their website: http://tinyurl.com/6dfaxso (make sure to choose the "Register for a Video account" option). You are charged €2.50 a trip as opposed to €3.00 when you pay the standard way.

Video registration

Set up an account so each time your vehicle number plate is read your account is charged. (No monthly account fee.)

I wouldn't bother with the eTag option. It's €2.00 a trip with this but you pay a monthly fee so probably only makes sense if you are using the M50 frequently.

Otherwise you ring 1890 50 10 50 (this number will only work while in Ireland) by 8pm the following day or use their online payment option at here: http://tinyurl.com/32mx9sw. You would pay the standard €3.00 fee here.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The M50 Question

I think the two motorway service areas between Newry and Dublin on the M1 have Payzone facilities so you can pay in advance before hitting the M50

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The M50 Question

I read somewhere recently that thousands of euro are lost each year through people not paying their M50 toll (mainly folks from NI and UK). Wouldn't it make more sense to keep a manned pay booth option as well as the e-flow..

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,338 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The M50 Question

What use would a pay booth be? People who didn't want to pay would simply not use it.

Edited: 15 January 2011, 13:56
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The M50 Question

LOL gaelflyer, you are right but it seems to me that it would save us culchie types a lot of hassle.

Limerick, Ireland
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The M50 Question

If you are a very in frequent traveller on the M50 then it is like the congestion charge in London. Go to eFlow.ie after your trip and pay for it. It works the same way in the USA on the open road tolls.

If you are going to be travelling from time to time then you should consider getting a Tolltag. The best one for you would be Tolltag.ie as they have an option to have a tag and not pay a monthly fee. There is a 10% charge on the pay as you go option which makes the m50 €2.20 instead of 3 euro per prip

See www.tolltag.ie for information

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
5,365 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The M50 Question

Cava007 has a point. I know of quite a few people who have been down for 'one off trips" and haven't paid because of the hassle factor. They have no problem paying normal tolls - it is just seen as a hassle to set it up or try to find a pay point especially if people have been down for a special event and so haven't had a lot of time to sort it. The system isn't well publicised up here (bgekk's question being proof of that).