We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

books to read before visiting Ireland

La Crosse, WI
Level Contributor
106 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
books to read before visiting Ireland

I will be traveling to Ireland - Dublin, felfast, Galway, County Cork, Killarney,in Jan. with a college course tour. Any suggestions for airplane reading on the way? My mom recommended "Angela's Ashes".....

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

This question is asked fairly regularly on the Ireland Forums. Here's a few previous threads with some suggestions:

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k259777…

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k162276…

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k197829…

tripadvisor.ie/ShowTopic-g186605-i90-k295160…

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

I would read "Princes of Ireland" also called "Dublin" I believe and "Rebels of Ireland" by Edward Rutherford.

Dallas
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

Also, "Circle of Friends" or anything by Maeve Binchey.

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

Please don't read Angelas Ashes as your intro to Ireland on the flight over; you may just want the aircraft to take you straight back home on landing. :-/

No disrespect to the late Frank Mc Court.

How about Mc Carthy s bar by Pete Mc Carthy ( also RIP). B

Edited: 28 November 2010, 16:15
Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

Please don't read Angelas Ashes as your intro to Ireland on the flight over; you may just want the aircraft to take you straight back home on landing. :-/

No disrespect to the late Frank Mc Court.

How about Mc Carthy s bar by Pete Mc Carthy ( also RIP). B

Edited: 28 November 2010, 16:15
Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

I have just finished Ghost Light by Joseph O Connor. It tells the story of the relationship between the playwright J M Synge and an actress at the Abbey Theatre. It is one of the most beautifully written books you will ever read.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,505 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

If you can get hold of 'Strumpet City' by James Plunkett,. It tells the story of Dublin of around a hundred years ago and the stuggle for civil liberty.

Watching the television reports of yesterdays austerity march on O'Connell Street kind of makes you wonder if much has really changed in this country.

Lebanon, Ohio
Level Contributor
34 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

Thank youfor asking to the OP and for the answers! I have been thinking the same thing and luckily my local library has much of the suggestions. Like I need something else to make me even excited for my trip. And I'm not leaving for another 7 months (well a little LESS than 7, so that helps!)

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

We've just remembered also that Aikenphotobug, a US poster who visited Ireland in the summer, compiled a very useful Traveller Article from various earlier threads she found about Irish-related books when she was researching her own trip.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186591-c137475/Irela…

Champaign, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: books to read before visiting Ireland

I will go review the summary of books, but I wondered whether anyone had suggestions for books for a 13-year old boy. He reads a lot, enjoys mysteries, fantasy, and historical fiction, so I think he could get invested in books about Ireland and not necessarily only fiction, but if you have previous experience getting younger teens interested via books, I would love to hear it. I think his experience on our trip will be greatly enhanced if he has the background on locations' history.

Thanks!