We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

We're going to go to Dublin for 3 nights in a couple of weeks and I can't decide on hotels. I think I've got the choice narrowed down to the Maldron Parnell Square or one of the O'Callaghans nearer St Stephens Green. Can anyone help on the different locations? We are young (ish), love walking but would prefer somewhere not too noisy in the middle of the night.

Also what are the differences between the O'Callaghans - they all look reasonably similar to me on reviews/price/location etc. Does anyone have a preference?

Thanks

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

Hi H&SP,

I'd definitely go with one of the O Callaghans. The Maldron Parnell square would not be my ideal choice of location. Neighbourhood can be a little dodgy.

All O' Callaghans are in good location. I've stayed in Alexander, and Stephens green, of them all. Mont Clare and Davenport are on busy streets so I'd expect traffic noise. Stephens green was a little noisy, but location perfect for me at that time. Alexander was also a great location, quiet, near Trinity and National Gallery, a short walk from National Museum, Natural History Museum, Leinster house, Stephen's green etc

If I can be of further help, feel free to ask. B

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

We wouldn't worry about staying at the Maldron Parnell Square. It's popular with visitors on these forums, including a number of lone women travellers, and no-one has reported any difficulties. One of us worked just across from the Maldron for a number of years without any problems but the area does look grittier than Merrion Square and marks the edge of 'tourist' Dublin.

But Merrion Square is a much nicer area and is closer to a lot of the action (popular sights and attractions, the best restaurants, traditional pubs, etc.) and is only about 5 minutes' walk from Westland Row DART (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) out of the city centre to coastal locations such as Howth, Malahide, Dalkey etc. It is also likely to be a bit quieter than other city centre locations at night.

Of the three Merrion Square O'Callaghan Hotels, the Davenport and Alexander are four star while the Mont Clare is three star. The Mont Clare is an old Dublin landmark and has smaller, more traditional rooms while the other two hotels are new builds with bigger, more modern rooms and facilities. Between the Alexander and the Davenport, for us the Davenport has more character as it,s built behind the restored facade of a 19th century Plymouth Brethern meeting house. The Gingerman Pub, which is adjacent to both hotels, is one of Dublin's nicest.

Edited: 26 October 2010, 10:42
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

Thank you both for your help. Really looking forward to our visit. H

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

Definitely O'Callaghans. To get back to the Maldron you've to go up O'Connell Street (probably at night) which is not recommended. O'Callaghans is in a much better and nicer location.

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
311 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

We're planning a June 2011 trip and I'm looking at the O'Callaghans as well, specifically the Davenport. Does anyone know if they're planning on offering free wi-fi anytime soon? At the moment, that is keeping me from committing to the Davenport as my husband and I really need to keep in touch with the kids back home during our trip and we're spoiled with wireless.

Atlanta, Georgia
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

Thanks to all of you, you've helped me make my decision with the same dilemma!

7. Re: Maldron Parnell Square vs O'Callaghans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 05:16