We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING for Europcar rentals. CDW too excessive!!

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mullagh, Ireland
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING for Europcar rentals. CDW too excessive!!

I have rented cars in Ireland since 1999 at least 4 to 6 times a year and usually have used Hertz. I decided on this trip to try Europcar as their rate was fairly cheap. I found out why when I picked up the car in Dublin. I was told my AE "WorldPoints" card would not work as a CDW waiver that it had to be a MasterCard or Visa "WorldPoints" card. The rate of course did not include CDW coverage which I was then forced to take at 14 euro per day for a 14 day rental and then told that I must also take the TPW, Theft Protection Waiver, insurance for another 7 euro per day. B.S. I have never had to take the TPW from Hertz, Enterprise, SIXT, Thrifty, National or Dooley car rentals in Europe. I told the thief at the counter to forget the rental I would go get a car elsewhere and he told me to go ahead he was going to charge my credit card as it was guaranteed. I will never ever use these theives again as I sent an emai to Euopcar and was told it was forwarded to their home office where nothing was ever heard from.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,455 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING for Europcar rentals. CDW too excessive!!

Strong words, stick to the devil you know in future then!

PARIS
Level Contributor
12,812 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING for Europcar rentals. CDW too excessive!!

There has been a lot of criticism of Europcar this year on various forums ( I posted one on "Sardinia").

You should let them know their sh.. service is not going unnoticed on this site....I sent them the link.

Dublin, Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING for Europcar rentals. CDW too excessive!!

I've used County Cars a couple of times now and rates seem very good - are locals so can't drive out of Ireland and there is 25Euro reg fee if want access to NI - picked up an earlybird rate with flight centre

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,986 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING for Europcar rentals. CDW too excessive!!

lol...i had this exact experience with hertz year before last...just exactly what europcar did to you...

i have always used ireland owned rental companies and always got a better deal...but hertz quoted me such a terrific price i went against my own advice and rented from a u.s. owned company...i mean how could i pass up $234 for 14 days?....lol lol lol...when i got to the counter, i was charged $806 for all of those insurances that are usually included in the quote...then when i threw in super cdw, waaah laaaaa my new rental price for $1040.....

i can promise you that i won't ever be uninformed again...i just "assumed" that the cdw and tp was included as it almost always is and that i only had to buy super cdw....oops!!!.......

the truth is all of the car rental companies can be considered theives because they charge us more for two weeks of insurance than we pay for a whole year in the states....but until folks can find another way to get around ireland and leave those cars on the rental company lots, they will continue to take advantage of us.....we just have to do our homework and rent from the company that rips you off the least.....

5. Re: WARNING for Europcar rentals. CDW too excessive!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 March 2011, 06:39