We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying at Harding Hotel, do I need a HOHO bus?

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rushford, Minnesota
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Staying at Harding Hotel, do I need a HOHO bus?

Hello all,

My husband and I are staying at the Harding Hotel near Christ's Church in October. Just doing a little research and trying to decide if we need to do a HOHO bus to get to everything or if we will be in easy walking distance. We are in our early 30s so some walking isn't a big deal. We will want to hit Guiness, Jameson, Kilmainham, and the Temple Bar section for sure.

Thanks!

Jenni

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,204 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying at Harding Hotel, do I need a HOHO bus?

Dublin is a very compact city and easy walking. Kilmainham is a bit of a walk from Christchurch, perhaps 30 minutes. The others you list are much closer.

The HOHO bus also has the advantage of giving you a commentary on the sites which can be both informative and entertaining

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying at Harding Hotel, do I need a HOHO bus?

Dublin city centre is very compact, mostly flat and very walkable. You will be able to walk to most of the popular sights and attractions easily from your hotel. For example, approximate walking distances would be:

Temple Bar - the hotel is on the edge of Temple Bar which is in itself only a few streets wide and long.

Christchurch Cathedral - next door

St. Patrick's Cathedral - 5 mins

Chester Beatty Library - 5 mins

Dublin Castle - 5 mins

Trinity College - 10 mins

Grafton Street area - 10 mins

Guinness Storehouse - 20 mins

Kilmainham Gaol - 30-40 mins

Old Jameson Distillery - 15 mins

General Post Office - 15 mins

St. Stephen's Green - 15 mins

National Gallery of Ireland - 15 mins

National Museum of Ireland at Kildare Street - 15 mins

Dublin also has an extensive network of inexpensive public transport - bus, train and tram - which can use if you don't want to walk to the more outlying locations such as Kilmainham Gaol and you can pick up a bus to Kilmainham along the quays close to your hotel.

You'll find maps in the Top Questions about Dublin on the right hand side of the Dublin Forum which will also give you an idea of scale. In the same Top Questions section you can also read more about public transport (just click on 'How can I get around Dublin?').

To get to your hotel from Dublin Airport just take the Airlink 748 express service from outside the terminal and get off in the city centre at the Wood Quay stop. From there it's only about 5 mins walk to your hotel. Once you get off the bus, if you stand with the river to your back and face towards Christchurch cathedral, you take the narrow street to the left of the cathedral (Fishamble Street) and you'll find your hotel at the top of this street. Fares on the Airlink 748 are €6 one way and €10 return/round trip per adult, or you could buy a one day Family Rambler ticket which would cover both of you for the journey to your hotel on the Airlink 748 for €10 in total and it will also give you unlimited use of ordinary Dublin Bus services (not the hoho) for the rest of the day. You can buy tickets for the Airlink services in the arrivals hall at DUB from the tourism desk, the CIE desk and the Kiosk shop, and from a machine by the bus stop outside the terminal.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
125 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying at Harding Hotel, do I need a HOHO bus?

I have stayed at the Harding and I recommend using the HOHO for at least one day. It is very convenient and the commentary is usually very good as well. Temple Bar is right next door to the Harding, and a walk to Guiness and Jameson is possible, but it is quite a trek to Kilmainham. Also, you might enjoy seeing the other sites that the HOHO passes.

You can easily traverse the rest of the city center by foot from the Harding.

4. Re: Staying at Harding Hotel, do I need a HOHO bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 06:20