We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

02 venue, Dublin

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
02 venue, Dublin

Does anyone know how long it would take to walk from Gresham Hotel in O'Connell Street to the 02 venue in Dublin please!

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

Hi there ,

About 15 min walk. From your hotel go left down O Connell St until you reach O Connell bridge over the river Liffey(5min) Turn left down the quay s to the O2 on North Wall Quay. Couldn't be easier. B

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

Fantastic! Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,283 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

It is 2km, so about 25 mins walk or you can just get the LUAS tram from Abbey St.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

If it were you would you walk (bearing in mind I'll be walking with high heels on) or would you take the tram?

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

Now that changes the plan !!! I'd take a taxi. There's a taxi rank across from your hotel. It's still a little walk to the Luas Worth any price to save a blister. Have a lovely time. B

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

Thanks!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

Robbs

Having walked from the O2 to the Westin Hotel (in high heelers!) and (attempted) a taxi to the O2 from O'Connell Street, I'd say take the Luas.

After dinner and a few drinkies before a concert, we decided to take a taxi - traffic was mayhem heading for the O2 (prior to the Luas going that far), the taxi driver was as frustrated as us, between the walkers and the heavy traffic and he ended up taking us up and down back streets and we ended up approaching the O2 from the port/north side of the city. Took almost 45 minutes for him to get us the less than 30 minute walk. Still had to walk a bit mind when he dropped us off, and it wasnt worth the hastle.

The walk back into O'Connell Street was a fun walk with the rest of the concert-goers (all mostly middle-aged Fleetwood Mac fans), but I ended up walking barefoot along the Liffey as my tootsies were killing me.

Think at that stage, I realised that at my age I should be dressing for comfort rather than style ;-)

Edited: 04 September 2010, 22:20
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,837 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

I agree with LittlePumpkin and would hop on the LUAS(if it's not too crowded). The walk back to the hotel never seems as long with all the crowd heading in the same direction.

I hope you have a seat at the gig and are not standing for a few hours in the high heels:-)) That can be pretty uncomfortable and be fairly painful too!

Edited: 04 September 2010, 22:57
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
68 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

This is really helpful replies. So right about getting to a certain age when one should dress for comfort!! However, no matter what the heels are going on that evening!! Got seats at concert so no worries there. Is the Luas easy to use? Do you have to pre buy ticket and is it best to get it from Abbey Street (we're staying at Gresham Hotel)? I'm risking sounding really stupid here but just want to plan all timings so we can enjoy meals, drinks, concerts etc..... without any hiccups - such a short trip to Dublin to fit in so much!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 02 venue, Dublin

The LUAS is very easy to use.

The nearest LUAS stop to your hotel is indeed Abbey Street. Just come out of the Gresham, turn left and walk down O'Connell Street, past the Spire and past Clery's department store which will be on your left. At the cross roads past Clery's, turn left into Lower Abbey Street and you'll immediately see the LUAS stop which is close to the top of the street, by Wynn's Hotel. It's a walk of approximately 5 minutes. You will need to board on the of the train that will be nearest to you i.e. don't cross the track as that platform is for trains going in the opposite direction to the 02.

There are ticket machines at every stop. You can buy a single or a return ticket for your journey. The stop you need is called The Point (the Point Depot being the old name for the 02 Arena). A single adult ticket is €1.80 and a return ticket €3.30.

You can find out more about the LUAS here. You'll be using the Red Line.

www.luas.ie

Edited: 05 September 2010, 16:28