We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Debating between three hotels

Which Dublin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Debating between three hotels

I've narrowed it down to three hotel choices and would appreciate any input. Location is important to us and we believe all three have a good location. While price is not the only factor it is a consideration so I'll provide that info. as well. For a two night stay with my wife on a weekend in July. Which would you choose -- help please! Thanks.

Prices are total cost (not per person)

The Shelbourne: 306.60 EU including breakfast -- rate non refundable once booked.

The Fitzwilliam 358 EU including breakfast -- room upgrade if available. Can cancel if needed.

The Merrion: 450 EU including breakfast and dinner one evening at the Cellar restaurant. Can cancel if needed.

Santa Barbara
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Debating between three hotels

We just returned from Dublin and stayed at The Merrion Hotel which we loved. Everything was perfect! A charming boutique hotel with a mixture of antiques, fresh flowers, modern amenitiies, etc. We were upgraded to the Main House Junior Suite by very friendly staff. Lovely Molton Brown amenities, wonderful full Irish breakfast served in the vaulted Cellar Restaurant. You can also reserve rooms in the newer wing of the hotel for around 215 Euros. I would definitely return to the Merrion.

We had lunch at Thornton's in The Fitzwilliam Hotel and it is very contemporary with a business traveller feel, if that style appeals to you.

We didn't stay at the Shelbourne, although we considered it for its perfect location and hotel history. We went there to check it out and it is lovely,but seemed a litlle corporate, given that it part of the Marriot chain.

You'll love Dublin!

Edited: 30 June 2010, 07:05
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Debating between three hotels

All are very nice hotels in great locations but for us as locals it would be the Shelbourne, mainly for sentimental and historical reasons. It's pretty much the grand dame of Dublin hotels, is steeped in history and characterand has a fab location right on St. Stephen's Green.

The Merrion is elegant and atmospheric, housed in a Georgian terrace opposite Government Buildings and would also be a great choice.

The Fitzwilliam is also a lovely hotel but it's a new build and located in a busier location on St. Stephen's Green by the LUAS (tram) terminus and within the shopping area of Grafton Street, beside the St. Stephen's Green shopping centre so maybe not as tranquil.

We don't think you'll be disappointed with whichever you choose.......

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
4,085 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Debating between three hotels

To walk from the Fitzwilliam to the Shelbourne is about 150 yds and a further 150 yds to the Merrion.

Both the Shelbourne and Fitzwilliam overlook St. Stephens Green, I am not sure what the rooms at the back overlook though. The rooms at the front of the Merrion overlook our Government buildings and some gardens at the back. There is a nice terrace to the rear of the Merrion where you can enjoy a drink.

Of the three I would say that the Merrion might be the quietest as both the others look on to busy streets. Having said that there are buildings on the opposite side of the road from the Merrion that can reflect back sounds whereas there are no buildings opposite the other hotels.

It's a toss of a coin really. For price it looks as if the Shelbourne should wing it but if price is no object then you can enjoy Patrick Guilbaud's restaurant at the Merrion.

http://www.merrionhotel.com/page.php?pid=87

http://www.restaurantpatrickguilbaud.ie/

Edited: 30 June 2010, 08:26
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
719 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Debating between three hotels

Sounds like you're getting a very good deal in the Shelbourne, that's the one I'd go for. Recently renovated, steeped in history & great location on St Stephens Green, two minutes walk from Grafton St.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,204 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Debating between three hotels

Another vote for the Shelbourne!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
86 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Debating between three hotels

Thanks for the input. Really came down to the Shelbourne and Marrion and I chose the Shelbourne based on price/value. Had the prices been equal, I may have leaned toward the Marrion. Thanks again.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Debating between three hotels

That's a high price for the Merrion indeed - whilst it's a very nice hotel we're paying less for THREE nights in an executive room (with complimentary sauna/spa pass) in Finland's 'best hotel', the Hotel Kamp in Helsinki, next month!

Of the three in your selection we'd have chosen The Shelbourne too regardless of price - we're big fans of the place :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
916 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Debating between three hotels

Shelbourne :-)

Wexford, Ireland
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Debating between three hotels

I think you are getting an excellent rate at The Shelbourne.

Dublin
Level Contributor
979 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Debating between three hotels

Make a point of visiting the museum of Archaeology almost directly behind the hotel.

museum.ie/en/exhibition-list/archaeology-and…