We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

I'll be visiting Ireland in May, spending the first 5-6 days in/around Dublin. I haven't been able to find any organized trips that include a stop at Trim Castle, so how easy is it to get to Trim Castle via public transportation from Dublin (i.e walkable to the castle from the bus stop, good signage/directions, etc...)? Does the same bus (111, if I’m not mistaken) pass through any other notable places in the same area so a few places could be visited the same day? Which, if any, of the transit passes would be best to cover travel so far outside the city?

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

Bus Eireann, the national bus company, runs a day trip to Bru na Boinne/Newgrange which on certain days takes in Trim Castle. There appears to be a problem with Bus Eireann's notoriously clunky website at the moment as their Bru na Boinne tour is not showing up on it. I'd suggest e-mailing them and asking them for details.

info@buseireann.ie.

The Bus Eireann 111 bus from Dublin stops just a few hundred metres from Trim Castle (Trim's a pretty small town - nothing is far from anywhere else). We've always driven to Trim so can't tell you about the bus stops en route from Dublin but we don't think it passes through any other places of interest to visitors but maybe Little Pumpkin, the Destination Expert for County Meath or other local posters would know.

There are bus and rail tourist travel passes available but you'd need to be planning a lot of travel outside of Dublin to make them pay. If you are only planning a trip to Trim, then just buy a return ticket. A adult return ticket to Trim currently costs €16.50.

http://www.buseireann.ie/bubble.php?id=71

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

Hi Littleengine and Happy New Year!

Day Tours Unplugged www.daytoursunplugged.ie/public-two.htm have an organised trip which incorporates Howth, the Man O'War pub http://www.manowar.ie/, Skerries Mill http://www.skerriesmills.org/, the Hill of Tara and Trim Castle. Obviously being a local I have never taken this trip - but the itinerary is wonderful and the trip to the Man O'War pub would be worth the €35 alone!! Definately one to consider.

Also, Bus Eireann stops right outside Trim Castle. However the route is a working route primarily for commuters so wouldnt be the most scenic and I couldn't think of anywhere on the route that would merit a stop (mostly just townlands).

Hope this helps and you have whetted my appetite for a session in the Man O'War pub. Must contact friends who would be equidistance from the pub to arrange a pint or two :-).

Edited: 01 January 2010, 10:02
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

Hi LP

Apparently there was a humdinger of a traditional music session at the Man O'War on St. Stephen's Day with a couple of musical families arriving and kicking it all off around midday. We went to see the mummers at the Naul early afternoon on Stephen's Day (it was great fun and preceded by mulled wine and home made mince pies at the little cafe at the Seamus Ennis Centre) and after that they were heading over to the Man O'War. The session appears to be an annual event - from around midday to around 4pm on 26th December so one for the diary then, and you get the added bonus of a visit from the mummers!

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

Happy New Year Tapl!

How brave were you heading to the Naul on St Stephens Day with all that ice. Susssh - why do you keep mentioning the Seamus Ennis Centre these days! I want to keep that all to us locals!!. I LOVE that place and in true TA fashion I suppose it should be unlocked as a Hidden Gem.

Right so folks - its out there www.seamusenniscentre.com and I must recommend their slow sessions.

Do you know - it actually deserves to be out there. I love the way you can go to a concert and bring your mug of tea/coffee into the venue from the Coffee shop. A real warm intimate true Irish experience - but ssssh don't tell too many or there will be no room for us locals!

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

Thanks for all the info, that tour sounds perfect! Coming from Canada we don't have anything nearly as old as the castle or pub so it would be very interesting.

Only 129 to go. :-)

Ireland
Level Contributor
3,584 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

Well Littleengine - you will certainly enjoy both. Be sure to let us know how the tour itself goes.

Canada has been on our list of trips for the last couple of years - who knows you may be able to return the favour and share your top tips for Toronto if we can manage to get there sometime soon :-)

Toronto
Level Contributor
237 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

Any time, LittlePumpkin! Personally, I would recommend a lot of other places in Canada to visit before you get to Toronto (i.e. Rockie mouintains/British Columbia in the west or Nova Scotia/Newfoundland in the east), but if you do ever end up here don't hesitate to let me know.

Arizona
Level Contributor
137 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

LittlePumpkin ~ your information on Trim Castle Tour from Day Tours Unplugged was very informative. After browsing the sites you listed, we have decided to book this tour. It seems to offer everything we were looking for in a tour.

littleengine ~ having most of my family hailing from Toronto, and growing up in Buffalo, NY, I have many a fond memories of summers spent in Toronto. With that said, I must agree with your advice: If I had to choose, I would explore the west coast of Canada first. I love British Columbia. With small sleepy fishing towns like Prince Rupert, historic Victoria, or a metropolis such as Vancouver, there is something for every mood. And, if time allows or the mood strikes, you can cruise on up to Alaska.

9. Re: Getting to Trim Castle from Dublin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2010, 05:18